Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Name of tool to remove broken pvc pipe in fitting

On 12 Dec 2005 03:22:37 -0800, wrote:

I would just remove the fitting....replace it and go on. Ive never
heard of a tool that will accurately drill out pieces of old pvc pipe
from a fitting....It would be expensive as it would have to be able to
remove the pipe pieces without scaring the inside wall/mating surface
of the fitting

I should have specified the situation. It's an electrical PCV pipe.
It comes out of the ground to a plastic outdoor box. Then more pipe
extends up the pole to another fixture. It snapped off on the top of
the box. Yes, I could rip the whole thing out, but with the ground
being frozen and the pipe right against the pole, I could risk
breaking the pipe at ground level and only make matters worse. Cold
pvc is real stiff and thats probably why it snapped off. Anyhow,
there is no water pressure, I just need to cleanout the busted stub
and glue in a new piece of pipe. If the hole is sloppy, a little
epoxy will fill the gap and prevent any rain from getting in.

I have never heard of a tool for electrical pvc pipe, but have for
plumbing. The pipe itself is pretty much the same thing.

I know one thing, I will not use those pvc boxes again. From now on I
will use the old metal ones and just glue threaded ends on the PVC
pipe. At least there is something that can be unscrewed.

I am considering using a dreml tool with a small grinder, but would
still like to find out what those tools are called.

Mark