DoN. Nichols

Default bronze bushing

In article ,
Will Self wrote:
This relates to this musical instrument I'm planning to build...

There are buttons (approx 7/8 inch diam) attached to 1/8 inch brass
rod shafts. I want the shafts to slide in bronze bushings. By the
nature of the instrument, the player will often be pressing near the
side of the button rather than in the middle. The bushing will
probably need to be about 5/8 inch long.

What do you recommend for the bushings? I can buy 1/4 inch bronze
rod from MSC and drill it out on the lathe. Or maybe a combination
of drilling and reaming? I guess this will depend on the 1/8 inch
brass rod I get, and how accurate it is. I can get brass rod from
MSC, also I see that RC hobby suppliers carry brass rod in various
small diameters.

Should I try to look into Oilite? This would probably be overkill, right?

The oil in the Oilite would probably attract and hold grit from
the air speeding up the wear -- especially if these are serving to
control air valves.

There is a Teflon impregnated Delrin (acetal) available in rod
form which would make a very nice bushing in combination with a polished
steel or brass rod. MSC carries it, though you may have to look through
the descriptions to find it, as I don't remember the name. (I've got
some downstairs, but it is too late, and I am about to go to bed.

Good Luck,
DoN.

P.S. It sounds somewhat like a button accordion, just offhand.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564