Posted to comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair
Sandy

Default Brother MFC-890 and "PLS OPEN COVER"

In article , Tony
wrote

One in five times, it might print out the Christmas card without a
hitch. The rest of the time, it's forever cleaning itself -- all the
colours -- and rapidly depleting the ink cartridges. Hand in hand with
this, it randomly asks to "PLS OPEN COVER", beeps, and waits. The only
thing to do is to open the cover. It then immediately tells you "PLS
CLOSE COVER" and, well ... in two weeks, I've got 4 out of 30 Christmas
cards done.

Hmmm a trifle irritating to say the least.
What is supposed to happen is when you open the cover and close it again you
will get a machine error code that indicates what went wrong, or you will get
no code which means the error was transient and went away. Helpful eh?
What is probably happening is there has been a transient error.
If you go to maintenance mode and enter function 80 you should get a display of
the machine log, that may hopefully give you some machine error messages if it
does then post them here and I will try to translate for you.
Tony

Dear Tony,

This is very kind of you. Function 80 gives me the serial number of
the machine. Are you sure you meant 80?

With kind regards,

Sandy
--
Alexander Anderson
(Yorkshire, England)

Where there is no vision, the people perish.