Don Foreman

Default Copper plating

On 22 Jul 2003 23:35:15 GMT, (Alden
Hackmann) wrote:

We've got some banjo tuning machines that are chrome plated, and (for esthetic reasons) a customer wants them plated with
copper. I did a little searching with Google, and found various methods, of which electroplating looks the best. Any
comments or suggestions? Will the copper stick to the chrome? Other problems that I'm not anticipating?

I think chrome must be stripped before copper or nickel can be plated,
but the place that would do the copper plating can easily do that. If
they also do chrome then they strip old chrome routinely.

Since your customer is making other parts of copper, you might use
whatever protective coating he uses (if any) so everything tarnishes
at the same rate.