Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jay s

Default Attaching Shotgun ribs...

could you use the tig to melt the silver solder? that way the heat affected
zone would be small because of the arc size.

"Al A." wrote in message
Any of you guys know how a shotgun barrel rib is attached? Anyone ever add
one to a gun that never had one?

I have a pretty cheap CVA 12ga single that I had gotten for one of my
sons to trapshoot with, because it was light enough for him to hold up
when he was smaller. He is now 15 and bigger/stronger than I am (yikes!)
so that is no longer an issue.

I am thinking I might like to make some additions to this gun, mostly
just for the fun of trying. One thing I would like to add is a rib with a
center bead. I have some ideas to make a rib for it, but I have no idea
how they typically are attached to the barrel. I seem to recall reading
that they are sometines soldered on, but I may be imaganing that, and have
no recollection as to what sort of soldering that would be.

I have decent shop capibility here, lathe, mill, MIG, oxy-acet, air-acet,
(TIG is available, off-site), epoxy, crazyglue, duct tape, etc.

I know we have some gunsmith types around here, any guidance, tip, ideas?

Thanks for any thoughts!

-AL A.