Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

Default Oak stair treads - Help Please

"Tom H" wrote in message

I am wondering if I could use a good quality oak veneer plywood with a

solid
oak bullnose.

The oak will not be walked on with the center carpet.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

First, it's your stairs and you can do what you want.

That said, what about the next owner who may want to remove the carpet?
Although you will often see plywood stairs treads in cheaper homes in areas
with little traffic (steps up to an attic, etc.), it is a cheezy alternative
on the main stairs to my mind.

IME, plywood is simply not the best material for treads over the life of the
stairs.

In short, and as long as you are going to the trouble of doing it, my bet is
that you will ultimately kick yourself for not using solid wood treads in
the first place ... besides being far less work.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05