Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Willemin

Default Oak stair treads - Help Please

"Tom H" wrote in
news
The wife want me to remove the carpeted stairs in our home and replace
it with oak stair treads.

She wants to re-carpet the center of the stairs with the oak showing
on each side.

I am wondering if I could use a good quality oak veneer plywood with a
solid oak bullnose.

The oak will not be walked on with the center carpet.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Aren't most stair treads 5/4? I'd check to see the thickness of what you
replace, but it seems to me that 3/4 (or 23/32) treads might be less than
satisfactory in the noise department (this is just a gut feeling without
any experience to back it up). Besides, I suspect 5/4 just looks right,
while thinner tuff would look chintzy. I suppose you could make the nose
of the tread 5/4, but I still wonder if the stairs would 'thud' right as
you go down in a hurry.

--

Jim
"Value nothing but truth, compassion, and love"