ff

Default Shop Colors Scheme and Lighting

Jesse L Zufall wrote:

I just purchased about 19' of wall cabinets for my shop and hope to install
them by the end of the month while my father in-law is here (free help). Was
wondering what the NG's recommendation for paint color scheme would be for
the cabinets. I plan to use a 1/8" steel plate over two 3/4 plywood sheets
for the counter tops.. Not sure what paint would be best for the cabinet
faces, drawers and doors. I am leaning toward painting the cabinets black
and the doors and drawers a machine gray. The hope was to show as little
dirt as possible on the outsides. The insides of the cabinets I was thinking
about painting white as to reflect light inside the cabinets.

Also, I have seen several shops that use florescent lighting but have been
pondering the idea of running a series of small floods above the wall
cabinets to direct light down onto the counter top itself. (Possibly of a
12V variety). The main lighting for the shop at this time is two 300W floods
18' in the air. Hardly adequate for a 1900 sqr.ft. garage. I have often seen
lighting grids in theaters that could be raised or lowered via a pipe grid.
Not so sure how I like the idea of using such for a shop but it would make
rolling the gantry around without trashing my lights a little easier.
Hanging drop lights from the ceiling over the mill and lathe might be a
viable option if I could find an inexpensive way to retract them should the
need arise.

What I am trying to do is come up with workable shop lighting without
breaking the bank. Don't want it to look as though it was put together by a
backwoods hog farmer though.

Your input is most welcome.

Best Regards,
Jesse L Zufall

I'm partial to that shade of beige they put on Lista cabinets.