Roy Hauer

Default Shop Colors Scheme and Lighting

I would paint it all white, and if you don't like white I would use
one of about the other 2001 shades of white. Its hard to beat white.
My shop floor is white, walls are white, ceiling is white. Where I
screwed up is painting my cabinets black. It shows more dust and dirt
than I care to think about. Someday I may paint them white, or at
least a light gray or tan.

Personally I like fourescent lights, and have em over every machine
and the lengths of benchs and the middle of the shop floor. I use a
bulb thats made for use in hospitals etc, not the coolwhite or warm
sun stuff as is typically sold in builder supplies. Graingers had to
order them but for the money they are nice. Of course I don't have to
worry with it being too cold where I live to make starting of the
lights a problem either. Can't ever have too much light., and also
having a white floor etc is not as bad as one would think on keeping
it clean, unless you arc weld on it ;-)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:08:04 -0600, "Jesse L Zufall"
wrote:

x-I just purchased about 19' of wall cabinets for my shop and hope to install
x-them by the end of the month while my father in-law is here (free help). Was
x-wondering what the NG's recommendation for paint color scheme would be for
x-the cabinets. I plan to use a 1/8" steel plate over two 3/4 plywood sheets
x-for the counter tops.. Not sure what paint would be best for the cabinet
x-faces, drawers and doors. I am leaning toward painting the cabinets black
x-and the doors and drawers a machine gray. The hope was to show as little
x-dirt as possible on the outsides. The insides of the cabinets I was thinking
x-about painting white as to reflect light inside the cabinets.
x-
x-Also, I have seen several shops that use florescent lighting but have been
x-pondering the idea of running a series of small floods above the wall
x-cabinets to direct light down onto the counter top itself. (Possibly of a
x-12V variety). The main lighting for the shop at this time is two 300W floods
x-18' in the air. Hardly adequate for a 1900 sqr.ft. garage. I have often seen
x-lighting grids in theaters that could be raised or lowered via a pipe grid.
x-Not so sure how I like the idea of using such for a shop but it would make
x-rolling the gantry around without trashing my lights a little easier.
x-Hanging drop lights from the ceiling over the mill and lathe might be a
x-viable option if I could find an inexpensive way to retract them should the
x-need arise.
x-
x-What I am trying to do is come up with workable shop lighting without
x-breaking the bank. Don't want it to look as though it was put together by a
x-backwoods hog farmer though.
x-
x-Your input is most welcome.
x-