Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bruce Barnett

Default A question about steady rests

Leo Van Der Loo writes:

Hi Kevin

If I5B understand your question right than you ask in essence how do I
get the middle of my spindle round so I can position my steady rest ??

I thought his question is what to do when you have a long spindle and
have to use the spindle rest in several places. I've done this, and
moving the rest is awkward. I have to
1) loosen the clamp of the steady rest from the wood
2) remove or loosen the bolts
3) move the tool rest
4) rebolt the steady rest
5) adjust the clamps on the wood.

After doing this three times for one long object and I too wold like
to know a better way. But I was doing long rods, and not chair legs,
so one ssteady rest wasn't working.

BTW the I like the Oneway spindle steady is much nicer that the Noname one
shown he

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...&FamilyID=5000

I have both, and the Oneway makes steps 1 and 5 very fast, and steps 2 and
4 are faster. Also the Noname burned the wood first time I tried it.
The Oneway is definitely superior.

But I wonder if there is a better way, especially for production
turning. Could one have a long tool rest, and have several steady
rests not engaged, and then as one works down the object, quickly
engage one rest, and continue down the spindle without stopping the lathe?

The string steady rests used for tremblers come close, but I never
tried them. I don't know how well it would work for larger diameter
objects.