Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default A question about steady rests

In article ,
"Kevin" wrote:

The question has to do with using the rest. Do you first round
off a part of the leg, apply the rest, round some more, and move the rest
down to the newly rounded bit?

That's what I do. I turn the segment where I want to place the steady to
round - not to the final size - and place the steady. Turn down the
tailstock portion to size up to the steady and then move the steady to
the adjacent newly completed section. Then the headstock end is
accessible along with the roughed section where the steady was placed
originally.

After all sizing is finished, I remove the steady and blend any portions
that're obvious.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.