Terry King

Default Square steel tubing embedded in concrete: Info/Help??

Round 6:
I am using 5" by 5" steel tubing as vertical supports to my
post and beam barn. Tubing will be embedded in concrete
in 16" holes of from 2 to 4 feet deep, all sitting right on bedrock.

I have two questions I would appreciate your experience on:

1. With a typical 4 foot piece of tubing embedded in 2 feet
of good (normal slump) ready mixed concrete, can I expect the
tubing to stay in place after being located correctly and plumbed,
without additional bracing?? Based on other stuff I've done I
expect this is not a problem, but if you've experienced otherwise
I'd like to know before wet-concrete-time.

2. I expect to pull the tubing up about an inch so that all the
steel is inside the concrete. Is this right? In this configuration
is it customary to add any welded-on rebar or other adders?? Why?

The vertical load will be 1500 pounds to 3000 pounds max, with no
side force.

On "Past discussions here": I have added rebar pins in 3 or 4 locations
where the hole depth is less, and the bedrock has somewhat of a slant.

Bizarre Data: 5x5x1/8" wall STEEL tubing costs only 25% more than
12" SONOTUBE, not even counting the concrete and rebar!! I was moved
in this direction by the fact that the concrete could not be placed
above 2.5 feet into Sonotube without a $600 concrete pump.

....Hoping to pour in a couple days! Thanks for all the help.

--
Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont

The one who Dies With The Most Parts LOSES!! What do you need?