Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default Vintage fish lo-k-tor flasher bulb

Rob wrote:
I recived a Lowrance Fish Lo-K-Tor "Little Green Box" model 505B from a
friend. I believe it is a 1960s or 1970s vintage fish finder although I
know very little about these. It appears to work, the disk spins, but the
flasher bulb is broken. It appears to be neon bulb about 1 inch long. I
was told by someone that it probably operates at 600V. I did a search on
DigiKey and so no good replacement. I have also searched for schematics on
these fish finders on Google and found nothing. Does anyone know any
details about these bulbs? What operating voltage? Are there any
practical replacements?

- Rob

Is the bulb one of those elongated versions of the NE-2? If so they were
sometimes used as the 1 "half digit" digit in nixie tube based equipment.

Most neon glow lamps operate at around 90-150v through a suitable series
resistor to limit the current.