Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Connecting a 110 Volt 300 watt generator to a 220 Volt panel

wrote:
I am considering purchasing a 3000 watt emergency generator. At this
size, some generators are 110/220 and others are only 110 volt.

My load will be a 5000 BTU A/C and a refrigerator. In addition, I
would like to put 110 Volts across the water heater for 1/4 power for
a few hours when the load could take it.

Assume that the main breaker is off.

Your local power company will be very upsets with any home brew attempt
to do this. I don't blame them. It has a tendency to kill workers.

You little generator is not going to do all you want it to do. The
specs are generally greatly optimistic. If you want to run A/C get a real
generator and have it properly installed.

I can backfeed 2 receptacles on the opposite side of the box with 2
extension cords and feed any 120 loads within the breaker limits.

But what about the water heater? How would you suggest that I connect
120 across it?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit