Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default Connecting a 110 Volt 300 watt generator to a 220 Volt panel

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am considering purchasing a 3000 watt emergency generator. At this
size, some generators are 110/220 and others are only 110 volt.

My load will be a 5000 BTU A/C and a refrigerator. In addition, I
would like to put 110 Volts across the water heater for 1/4 power for a
few hours when the load could take it.

Assume that the main breaker is off.

I can backfeed 2 receptacles on the opposite side of the box with 2
extension cords and feed any 120 loads within the breaker limits.

If you do this, and I sincerely hope you will not, make darn sure all the
240v breakers are off. In fact, make sure all the breakers are off.

But what about the water heater? How would you suggest that I connect
120 across it?

If I were going to do it, and I wouldn't do it, I would cut the cable to the
water heater, put a 120v plug and outlet on it. Then it is a simple matter
to run the heater off an extension cord. Or, if you are really crazy, plug
it into a backfed 120v outlet and run it that way. Make sure you use a 30a
plug and outlet; although it won't draw that much on 120v, it will on 240v.
I suppose it would be better to use a 240v plug and outlet, and make a
converter with a 240v outlet and a 120v plug, though it is so foolish it
really doesn't matter.
It sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Besides, I doubt the heater
will get hot enough to work. I have a 240v baseboard heater wired to 120v.
It is fine for late spring and early fall when I use it, but it barely warms
up.

Please don't run your A/C off the generator at night. If my neighbor did
that... well, I hope he doesn't. It is one thing to run a furnace or
refrigerator, but an A/C?!