Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
Kyle Boatright

Default Waterproofing crawlspace walls and floor with DryLok

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a crawlspace under part of my house that I would like to
insulate so it's not just wasted space. First off though I'd like to
deal with any possible moisture, radon gas, and bugs that might find
their way in.

My question is this ... can DryLok Latex Masonary Waterproofer be used
on the floor?

My plan is to paint the walls and floor with DryLok Latex Masonary
Waterproofer. There's no real water seeping in, but there is one
section of the wall that has that white powder stuff on it. I'm also
assuming that DryLok will help with keeping radon gas out, which is the
reason why I would also like to use it on the floor (I don't think I
actually have any real issue with radon, but I figure since I'm down
there, why not do it just in case)

Or am I asking for trouble (ie: will it wear away way to quickly on the
floor, etc.)?

Thanks,
Harry

The white powder on the wall is where water has seeped through the wall,
then evaporated, leaving a mineral deposit. Before using dry-loc on that
area, you'll need to wire brush it. Otherwise, dry-loc'ing your walls makes
perfect sense. I woudn't bother with the floor unless you have a seepage
problem through the slab.

By the way, "installing" dry-loc is quite a chore. The first coat has to be
brushed on, and since the stuff is so thick, it is a lot of work and goes
slowly. The second coat can be rolled, so it goes much faster.

For Radon, just make sure you have decent ventilation so you don't get a
build-up.

KB