Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Waterproofing crawlspace walls and floor with DryLok

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...

z wrote:
wrote:
Sure, .006" thick polyethylene under the floor. Otherwise, you can
smear on what you like, and moisture will still come through. (Okay, a
couple inches of tar would work.)

Keeping water from coming through masonry is a challenge- essentially
impossible unless there's an impermeable membrane in there. Drainage is
_big_ factor.

Keeping radon out essentially means venting it elsewhere, like from
house and ground into under-house ducts through blower and out-there.
IOW, install small vent ducts under slab that are kept at negative
gauge pressure, and dump inflow to the great-outdoors. Check with local
experts, first, to see if you have a problem; second, how best to deal
with it.

If you can insulate above and part/most way down the walls, and
ventilate below that to remove moisture, that should serve you well.
Vapor-barrier under floor would help too.

I've seen waterproof epoxy paints for floors sold. Never tried them
myself, to know if they work.

I know Drylock says not for floors...but I have used it on my basement
floor and I have no problems. I think they put that as a legal
protection because you might slip and fall on their paint. or it
won't hold up well to foot traffic,,,,,,

If its a crawl space then no problem.

Mark

If you don't have any water seeping in, why would you spend all that money
on sealer. If you want to store stuff down there, just roll out a plastic
tarp and put stuff on top. Or haul in a few old pallets to keep it up off
the floor.

Sealing up the vents to keep the bugs out might or might not be a bad idea.
If it really is pretty dry it would be OK but if you are concerned about
radon or moisture, its best to leave it open ventalated or else you may need
to divert some house heated air into the space to ventalate it.

Given the low traffic you would expect from a crawlspace (with a concrete
floor, that is unusual, mine is dirt) The Dryloc should be better than
nothing and will not wear badly. As long as you do not have any hydrostatic
pressure pushing the water in, dryloc should prevent water from diffusing
through