jakdedert

Default AA battary capacity, Ah (?)

All the Motorola FRS radios (that I'm familiar with) use three AA cells.
All of their literature states that alkalines or Nimhs *must* be used.
According to Motorola, NiCads are not acceptable.

jak

"Dave Martindale" wrote in message
(Old Nick) writes:

I have a couple of little Uniden walkie-talkies, that take 4 X AAA
cells. They chew out the cells fairly fast, so I bought NiCds. No go.
The radios appear to have trouble dealing with the lower voltage. I
reckon they are trying to grab max volts to get Tx power up, and
probably should have had an extra battery. Rechargeable ALkalines
worked fine, but as you say deteroriate rapidly.

Sounds like the radio is poorly designed. Alkaline cells start at 1.5
volts, but drop pretty much continuously in voltage as they are drained.
Depending on the load, a device needs to operate properly down to 1 V
per cell (light load) to 0.8 V per cell (heavy load) in order to get
most of the energy out of alkalines. So a properly-designed radio