Gerald Miller

Default 3.5 horse Brigs repair help!

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:10:44 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Treefrog wrote:

Wayne,

Noted your post B&S engines and I'm in a similar situation. Bought an
edger at a garage sale, had corrosion in the fuel tank from sitting too
long without being used. I cleaned out the carb, replaced the fuel pick up
and diaphram but it still won't run and I can't find any more jets to
clean!

Before any more work, just get the choke closed and put a pretty liberal
supply of gas on and around the choke plate and try to start it. If you get
nothing after a couple of pulls, it isn't a fuel system problem. Don't
assume
that the corrosion indicates it is entirely a fuel problem. Many of these
small engines have magnetos die on them, and they still may produce some
small spark when you try to test it, but it won't jump the plug gap under
compression.

Jon

A couple of older B&S I came across, had the points actuated by a
plunger that rode the cam on the crankshaft. This plunger was stuck in
the open position, once I got this freed up the engine started and ran
great.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada