Default Polyurethane / stain mix

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:23:36 -0600, Duane Bozarth

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:46:41 -0500, "Chuck Jurgens"
wrote:

I have an oak coffee table and end tables that I need to "fix". There are
water rings on the top that have lifted the finish off the wood and exposed
the bare wood. The finish on the rest of the table(s) is fine.

I am thinking about sanding the tops, staining and then finishing with
polyurethane. There are NOT pieces of fine furniture so I wanted to use a
polyurethane/stain mix, however, I couldn't find one in the correct shade.
I DID find the correct STAIN.

Question: Can I mix the stain with the polyurethane to create a combination
finish? If so, what would be the proper mixing ratio?

Thanks.

Chuck

maybe, but probably not. ask the manufacturers. most have n 800 number
on the can

But why bother/take the chance/hope for a desired tint? You could have
applied the stain to get the desired color by now and then put the top
coat over it tomorrow...

oh, the search for abstract knowledge is it's own reward...

you're right about the color not coming out the same though. it's also
likely that the solvents/driers in the different materials would not
play entirely nicely together.