john

Default recmd to mark steel part with changing lot code?

William Danielson wrote:

I'd like some suggestions on the best way to mark a lot code on
stamped steel part. Its a drawn steel wheel half used to make a golf
cart wheel. We need to put a code on the bare steel part indicating
date of manf and the steel coil number it was made from. We will
probably need to change the code a few times a shift since we change
coils that often.

I was leaning toward a Telesis pin marking engraving device in a
separate marking station with some kind of automated load/unload pick
and place mechanism. A colleague suggests adding marking punches to
the forming die. Can anyone suggest a tooling supplier of such a
device that is quickly changeable, since we will have to change the
coil number code about 3 times per shift.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Doug Danielson

recmd to mark steel part with changing lot code?

Depending on how formal you want to mark the part you could use a code
of marks ground on the stamping die which would appear on the stamped
part or even get a stamp for the die.

John