William Danielson

Default recmd to mark steel part with changing lot code?

I'd like some suggestions on the best way to mark a lot code on
stamped steel part. Its a drawn steel wheel half used to make a golf
cart wheel. We need to put a code on the bare steel part indicating
date of manf and the steel coil number it was made from. We will
probably need to change the code a few times a shift since we change
coils that often.

I was leaning toward a Telesis pin marking engraving device in a
separate marking station with some kind of automated load/unload pick
and place mechanism. A colleague suggests adding marking punches to
the forming die. Can anyone suggest a tooling supplier of such a
device that is quickly changeable, since we will have to change the
coil number code about 3 times per shift.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Doug Danielson

recmd to mark steel part with changing lot code?