RoyJ

Default measuring for a recoil pad

The old method was to hold the gun butt in the crook of the elbow, make
sure that your index fingerfirst joint was at the trigger. Lately the
trend has been to use fitup stocks with adjustable everything to see
what works for you.

Since the fitup that you like is completely up to you and will vary by
what kind of use (skeet, trap, bench, upland field, etc) and what kind
of clothes you are wearing(trap vest versus cold weather parka), use the
slip on in various sizes until you get what you like.

Installing your own permanent pad is no big deal. The replacement rubber
pad is shaped on a belt sander. Add spacer strips to get it where you want.

SteveB wrote:
How does one measure the length a gunstock should be on a long gun? I have
a Remington 1100 that I want to put a recoil pad on. When I put it up to my
shoulder, it looks like I am looking up the vent rib, which would mean to me
that the stock is too short. I am calling a gunsmith tomorrow to see how
much it costs for them to put a pad on it. I was just wondering, though, as
I am sure I can do a slip on pad for less. It is just I was wondering how
to measure for that.

Steve