Andy Hall

Default Clearing blocked toilet with caustic soda

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:01:11 +0100, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

My first-floor toilet is blocked, as far as I can see
just after the U-bend.

My local plumbers merchant gave me a jar of sodium hydroxide,
and told me this was as good as anything.
The label on the container warns me to follow the instructions carefully,
but unfortunately the instructions are missing.
Can I safely pour some down the toilet?
Do I have to ensure it will get round the U-bend?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

You may be better off removing the pan, taking it outside and cleaning
it with a pressure washer or something similar.

Depending on the obstruction, caustic soda may not be all that
effective anyway.

I had the unenviable job of clearing one for somebody not long ago and
the obstruction turned out to be a number of vampire's teabags
gathered in a mass.
It would probably have taken caustic soda some while to dissolve those
sufficiently for them to move.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl