Waldo

Default Backfeed generator through dryer outlet?

Me wrote:
In article a2v9f.93$7d.38@trnddc01, "JOHN D"
wrote:

"Me" wrote in message

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

I've not seen any transfer switches that switch or isolate the neutral
and I've seen many transfer switches.

Pete C.

Then you haven't lived long enough, or inspected enough
installations..... Having a Transfer Switch that doesn't switch the
Neutral is applicable in the NEC, and legal in some situations.
However, and this is a BIG However, if the System Ground should
become faulty or the Netural resistance to ground start to rise
due to corrosion or other problems, then out of Ballance Backfeeding
on a 120/240Vac Single Phase system can happen. Nothing mechanical
stays the same forever, and forever is a very long time. **** Happens,
and folks that don't understand that are doomed to live the results,
for when the wrong "**** Happens" in their world.......
Some folks choose to only switch the Hot Legs, but the better way to
do it is to switch both Hot and Neutral, and only keep the Ground
continious.....

Me

Your point sounds valid, and I certainly believe "ship happens" (given
enough time **** will always happen), but can you cite a specific make and
model transfer switch for a residential application that switches the
neutral?
John

Square D makes them in various sizes. Most folks just get a 3Phase
Transfer Switch and use the third set of contacts for the Neutral.
Two Hots and a Neutral, all switched.......

Me

Here's another one for you -

Federal Pioneer (Canadian division)
GP3P60-20