Mike Harrison

Default Workshop Wiring - Prep work before Electrician

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:44:25 GMT, "jonni" wrote:

In the process of purchasing a timber garage which will be used exclusively
as a workshop. I am trying to do as much as possible on my own and have just
finished compacting the hardcore prior to concrete pouring (yet to be
arranged).

http://www.btinternet.com/~jonni/images/base.jpg

What I'd like to do now is dig a trench for a run of armoured cable from the
house to the workshop. I'd like to dig the trench and order the cable and
perhaps a CU?? for the workshop along with several metal sockets and the
internal wiring requirements. The workshop will require 1 strip light and 3
or 4 double sockets - mainly for power tools etc.

My plan is:

Dig a trench approx 600mm deep from house to workshop
Order 25m of armoured cable (not sure which one?)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?H697242D8
Order CU for workshop

Order 3 of these

Order this for workshop cabling

Order warning tape for trench

Not sure which light fitting to use in a workshop?
Not sure what to protection to use for cable when underground?

After all this I'm going to contact an electrician to quote me for
connecting it all up to the CU in the house! (there are some things I am not
prepared to do at this stage in my quest to learn all things DIY!!). I
expect people to say "let the electrician get all this for you" but I'd
rather do it myself (pun?) - I feel I'll learn more this way ;o)

If anyone in their wisdom could check over my shopping list I'd appreciate
it

Thanks
Jonni

I'd suggest running a plastic pipe with rope threaded through for stuff you think of afterwards
(phone, doorbell, network, TV aerial etc. etc....) - blue water pipe perhaps.
...and maybe water as well while you're at it....

I ran 4" soil to my workshop and it's now getting really hard to pull more stuff through....!