Default Dumoore flex shaft grinder question

Gunner wrote:
I had forgotten Id scrounged up a Dumore flex shaft grinder some time
back. The handpiece holds a 1/4" tool, which is a bit wierd as the
motor doesnt seem particulary big.

On each end of the actual core of the flex shaft is a .25 x .25 square
crosssection bit of steel that engage the handpiece shaft and the
motor on the other. One of the bits is broken off on one end, so it
wont engage the motor.

Lord only knows what the vintage of this thing is..the motor does run
well, the hand piece has little play or backlash in the bearings... so
it is a keeper if I can fix the end.

Whats the best way to repair the end of the core? Make one up out of
1/4" key stock and tig it to the end of the core?

Any suggestions are welcome

Gunner

Gunner,
I have a Dumore that is likely the exact same thing, that I picked up
cheap at a used tool place around here. I'm not sure what would be the
best way to fix the flex shaft core, but don't be surprised at the 1/4"
collet for the tool. That little motor is strong and fast. I love mine.
I've used it with points and even a wire wheel on a few occasions.
Beats the daylights out of any of the lower-end air powered die
grinders I've used, and runs circles around a dremel for heavy stuff.
Way more torque than either of them. I want to add a variable speed
control. I think that would make it even more versitle.

Seemed to me that it might be just the thing for a neat-o toolpost
grinder for the lathe, looks pretty easy to make up a mount to go in
the quick-change, though I have never had occasion to need one.

I have often wondered what I would do when the shaft wore out. If you
come up with any clever hacks, by all means share what you figured out.
If photos or something might help, just say the word.

-AL A.