Stephen M

Default 6" jointer/planer question

What is the difference between the x5 6" Jointer (37-275X) and the 6"
Professional Jointer (37-195)? They look identical in the specs.

'Dunno

Are there other 6" Jointers I should be looking at in the $400 range
(which I can't seem to locate easily).

IMHO, with jointers, only 2 things *really* matter everything else is down
there with paint color. 1. Size matters (longer is always better) and 2.
Flatness is everything. Get a good quality straightedge and make sure that
your castings are flat and parallel. It does not matter whose jointer you
buy; everybody makes a lemon every now and then. Make sure that the verdor
(not the necessarily the manufacturer) will make things right if you get
unlucky.

What planer would you ball recommend? My local shop has the DeWalt
13"(DW735) at $449 after rebates and that would come with an extra set
of blades. That is a lot for me to spend. Any suggestions on other
decent brands that cost less, or where I might be able to get this item
for less?

I have a Dewalt 733 with which I am very happy. I beleive that it has been
replaced by the 734 which is considerably cheaper than the 735.