Wilson

Default 6" jointer/planer question

If you are doing hobby work and not handling a lot of rough lumber, the
cheap 12" planers will be fine. I, and now my son, have used a C'man for
nearly 10 yr. I even did some 2X10 rough floor joists on it! They are
$100-150 used. The planer is a great tool, but there are many more
productive places to spend the extra money.

The big thing on jointers is bed length. You can't straighten anything a
whole lot longer than the infeed table. I rip all long boards with a
sliding carrier and then joint. The price is great. Used C'men, which are
fine but short, are $150-200.

Please mail my two pennies asap,
Wilson

"ddakadmc" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am very new into woodworking and want to furnish my small shop with
good affordable equipment.

I have an opportunity to purchase a new Delta x5 6" jointer for a final
cost of $323.92. I know that is a good price, but I am asking the
following questions:

What is the difference between the x5 6" Jointer (37-275X) and the 6"
Professional Jointer (37-195)? They look identical in the specs.

Are there other 6" Jointers I should be looking at in the $400 range
(which I can't seem to locate easily).

What planer would you ball recommend? My local shop has the DeWalt
13"(DW735) at $449 after rebates and that would come with an extra set
of blades. That is a lot for me to spend. Any suggestions on other
decent brands that cost less, or where I might be able to get this item
for less?

Thanks for your help.
Doug