william_b_noble

Default Homemade Carbide Lathe Toolholder

all carbide tool holders I have support the carbide with a second piece of
carbide below it - this second piece of carbide is not sharp and doesn't
cut, it's only job is to support the cutter.
"woodworker88" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just made my own lathe toolholder for indexable carbide inserts out
of a perfectly sized piece of aluminum I had lying around. I matched
the height of the cutter to a regular toolholder I have. I filed the
recess for the carbide and drilled and tapped the 4-40 hole for the
screw that secures the carbide. I copied the rough dimensions off of
some other tools I have seen and a carbide tooholder for a Amaco brake
lathe. My main question is what is the acceptable overhang of the
carbide over the toolholder. I know the carbide is brittle, and as I
was generously given the carbide inserts I really don't want to break
them. The current overhang is about 3/32" of an inch, but the one I
was copying from had less than 1/16" The brake lathe is designed for
ultimate rigidity, and I don't need quite that much accuracy, but I
don't want to be snapping carbides either.
Thanks,
Woodworker88 and the Los Altos High School Robotics Team #114
www.lahsrobotics.org