Mark Witczak

Default What color to paint workshop

I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that
I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on
for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

Thanks,
Mark
HomeBrewer

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and
what others have done out there.

I haven't done it yet, but I was thinking about painting my out building
walls gray. One reason is because when I wipe the grease from around the
light switch, it doesn't show quite as bad.
--
___________________
HomeBrewer

Glenn

Of coarse you can paint the shop any colour you like, but I think the main
reason you will find most people paint the walls white is to reflex the
light better.
You will find that white walls will brighten up the place better.
Another point to think about is that the colour of the walls also affect the
look of the finish that you may be applying on a project in your shop.

Glenn
"Mark Witczak" wrote in message
I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that
I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on
for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

Thanks,
Mark

leonard

if you have the light then any color you want,that said if you only have a
few overhead florescent lamps then white may be the way to go. my shop has
wall murals of woodshops on the walls and a white ceiling.

Len
"Mark Witczak" wrote in message
I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that I'll
need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on for a
color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

Thanks,
Mark

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark Witczak" wrote in message
I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that I'll
need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on for a
color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

Thanks,
Mark

Mine is white primer. Some day it may be a light blue. Light colors help
with the lighting; just adding the sheetrock and primer on a couple of walls
made a huge difference. . Blue and green are cheerful, gray is depressing.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:42:52 -0500, Mark Witczak wrote:

I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that
I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on
for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

Thanks,
Mark

While it may be interesting to think of more exotic colors, flat white
has some very practical benefits. First, it makes a huge difference in
shop lighting levels. Secondly, it provides a neutral background upon
which you can judge the various shades of finishes you will be using.

Nate Perkins

Mark Witczak wrote in news:33FId.44495$Tf5.38695
@lakeread03:

I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that
I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on
for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

Thanks,
Mark

White's the best. It provides the bright reflected light you need, and it
won't introduce false coloring that would be confusing for some finishing
work.
Silvan

Mark Witczak wrote:

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

Lotsa colors to choose from. I'd go with one of achromatic, achromic,
blanched, bleached, chalky, frosted, milky, pallid, pasty, or maybe snowy.

Or you could just paint it white.

(Thanks to thesaurus.com.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Dr. Hardcrab

"Mark Witczak" wrote in message
I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that I'll
need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on for a
color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

Coast Guard Orange

;-]

The Dave©

xrongor wrote:
red hides the bloodstains real good...

I'm surprised nobody's suggested a gothic black theme, yet.
Wes Stewart

wrote:

|I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that
|I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on
|for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.
|

|I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
|done out there.

Depends on the color of the carpet you install. I actually had a
neighbor once with carpet in the garage.

Seriously, as most everyone else said: white.

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 02:24:04 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan
spake:

Mark Witczak wrote:

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

Lotsa colors to choose from. I'd go with one of achromatic, achromic,
blanched, bleached, chalky, frosted, milky, pallid, pasty, or maybe snowy.

Did someone mention pasties? Titillating! (Reminds me of Fran at The
Body Shop in SD.)

Or you could just paint it white.

There ya go. Satin/eggshell white. Bounces light around without the
nastyarse glare of a gloss.

(Thanks to thesaurus.com.)

Wimp. Keep a copy of Roget on your desktop, as I do.

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!

John Hines

Mark Witczak wrote:

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

Depends on what you intend use it for.

Black for worshiping Satan.
White if you want to see what your working on.
Means of storage, if you have tools or parts and pieces to store.
ToolMiser

My basement workshop is natural ceiling (floor joists & subfloor), and the
walls are white with a blue strip for color.

Doug Miller

In article 33FId.44495$Tf5.38695@lakeread03, Mark Witczak wrote:

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

White. The more light reflected by the walls and ceiling, the easier it is to
find small parts when you drop them and they roll under the bench.

--
Regards,

Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

(Thanks to thesaurus.com.)

Wimp. Keep a copy of Roget on your desktop, as I do.

I have no idea where my thesaurus is. I don't use it terribly often, since
I do a pretty good job of serving as a walking thesuarus myself. I sought
out a little help in orchestrating that particular bit of smartassery
though, because I was drawing a blank on alternative ways to say "white."

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Bob G.

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:56:35 -0600, "HomeBrewer"
wrote:

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and
what others have done out there.

I haven't done it yet, but I was thinking about painting my out building
walls gray. One reason is because when I wipe the grease from around the
light switch, it doesn't show quite as bad.

\====================
Lol... In addition to woodworking I have 2 garages that I use to
restore, repair and just tinker with cars... and yes my hands are
generally greasy ... BUT from experience I can tell you that GREY
shows dirt just as bad as white.... I masked off the area around all
my door konbs and painted it BLACK and use only dark brown face
plates on all my electrical switches and outlets...

BTW... I gave up wiping around the light switches long ago...life is
just to short to worry about a "little" dirt.... NOW put a finger
print on one of the cars and you will be in deep crap... lol
Bob Griffiths
Greg O

"Mark Witczak" wrote in message
I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that
I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on
for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

Thanks,
Mark

The walls in my shop are semi-gloss white. Cleans easy enough and nice and
bright. I do some auto repair too and if I get grease on the wall I just
wipe it off. When it gets too bad I repaint. In 14 years I have painted 3
times total. The walls get dingy from dust and exhaust before the grease
around the outlets is a problem.
Greg

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:45:04 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan
spake:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(Thanks to thesaurus.com.)

Wimp. Keep a copy of Roget on your desktop, as I do.

I have no idea where my thesaurus is. I don't use it terribly often, since
I do a pretty good job of serving as a walking thesuarus myself. I sought
out a little help in orchestrating that particular bit of smartassery
though, because I was drawing a blank on alternative ways to say "white."

Thesaurus.com served you well in that light, Minty.

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!

Prometheus

wrote:

I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that
I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on
for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

I haven't got to it yet, but mine is going to be safety yellow. No
getting tired in that, and it makes the place seem warmer. Of course,
I just got done painting the kitchen mandarin orange, so your tastes
may vary wildly. (BTW, the light reflected off bright orange really
makes maple cabinets glow)

Thanks,
Mark

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Mark & Juanita

wrote:

I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that
I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on
for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

I haven't got to it yet, but mine is going to be safety yellow. No
getting tired in that, and it makes the place seem warmer. Of course,
I just got done painting the kitchen mandarin orange, so your tastes
may vary wildly. (BTW, the light reflected off bright orange really
makes maple cabinets glow)

So, do you pass out sunglasses to your guests when they visit? :-)

Thanks,
Mark

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

gregg

"Mark Witczak" wrote in message
I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that
I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on
for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Well my shop is in the cellar with 3 very small windows so I need to make
the best use of what light there is. Therefore mine is painted white. I
have one wall that holds the tools over the bench and that's poly'd luan
plywood.

I'm mostly Neander so i don't make a lot of dust but what there is, can
show up on the wall - especially if I use the circular saur or the routah.
Every once in a while I run the shopvac and swipe down the walls. Takes
maybe 20 minutes.

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

ROBMURR

I have no windows at all in my garage
workshop so it is bright white and lit
by shoplites.
Badger

A very light green in wipe clean eggshell, easier on the eye's!

We paint all our laser labs white for one very simple reason, it keeps
your iris's closed lessening the chance of a laser damaging them with
scatter.

A side effect is shadows are always darker as your eye's not getting all
the available light, look under bench can't see something you know is
there, get under bench and allow eye's to adjust and bingo there it is!

Niel.
Perfer no to say

I think white is the best. It really brightens up the room. You never have
enough light and
as you get old, you need more light.

wrote:

I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that
I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on
for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

I haven't got to it yet, but mine is going to be safety yellow. No
getting tired in that, and it makes the place seem warmer. Of course,
I just got done painting the kitchen mandarin orange, so your tastes
may vary wildly. (BTW, the light reflected off bright orange really
makes maple cabinets glow)

Thanks,
Mark

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

leonard

hi mark,
unfortunately I have no way of taking a picture of the walls but I can tell
were to look for the murals.most paint stores that sell wallpaper have many
different books of wall murals(Sherwood Williams is one of the big names but
I found the wood shop murals in a wallpaper shop)

Len

leonard wrote:
if you have the light then any color you want,that said if you only have
a few overhead florescent lamps then white may be the way to go. my shop
has wall murals of woodshops on the walls and a white ceiling.

Len
"Mark Witczak" wrote in message

I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that
I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on for
a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

Thanks,
Mark

effi

news
wrote:

I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that
I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on
for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

Thanks,
Mark

Somehow I find your question sort of sad. Have people become so
boring that they have to ask what color to paint, or so programmed
that they have to follow the latest trend?

as boring and programmed as you, your question, and posting name?

How about being unique, being individual, showing some personal
expression of yourself. Who cares if everyone paints white.
Personally, I think white is boring.However, as others said, it does
add some light. But you dont have to paint EVERYTHING white.
The house I used to own before I moved to a larger place, I had a
workshop in the basement. Cinder block walls. I decided the gray
block was dull and I wanted to liven it up the room, but not spend a
fortune. I first installed some white ceiling tile. Then I bought a
gallon of a light beige (off white) paint, and started at the top of
the walls. I never realized how much paint cinder block sucks up and
I ran out of paint after doing only the top 1/3 of the walls. It was
late at night, the stores were closed, and I was out of paint. I took
some old paint I had. Mixed some blues and greens and got a sort of
aqua color (all flat latex), and I painted the next 3 blocks down with
that stuff. That left the bottom two rows of blocks. I had a gallon
of a darker gray semi gloss porch and deck enamel. I splashed a few
brushfulls of that on the wall, and loved it. The bottom 2 blocks got
that gray. Not only did I love the colors, but that porch and deck
was real durable for those bottom blocks where all the abuse occurs to
walls.

The Dave©

wrote:

[...]

For most people, the purpose of a garage and basement are different.
White, while "boring", is practical in a garage. Especially of seeing
what you're working on is a consideration.

--
It has been determined that research causes cancer in lab rats.
ToolMiser

Another thing to think about is that no matter what color you choose, if you
are like a lot of us, you will cover the walls with tools anyway so they
provide the color. If you need more color, get more tools!

Rich

"ToolMiser" wrote in message
Another thing to think about is that no matter what color you choose, if
you
are like a lot of us, you will cover the walls with tools anyway so they
provide the color. If you need more color, get more tools!

I concur!! Spoke shaves usually have nice red handles...etc...

Rich B

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
leonard wrote:
hi mark,
unfortunately I have no way of taking a picture of the walls but I can tell
were to look for the murals.most paint stores that sell wallpaper have many
different books of wall murals(Sherwood Williams is one of the big names but
I found the wood shop murals in a wallpaper shop)

Do a google search on "wallpaper mural" -- there's *lots* of on-line catalogues
with pictures, to browse through.

There's a great "double wide" (circa 25') of one of the features of the Grand
Canyon, but d*mn if I know where I'd put it.

Denis Marier

As stated by others the wall are getting covered with tools, shelves,
bicycles and many other things. However, I find it easier to locate my
tools when they are on a flat whitish background. More important to me is
the reflection and distribution of light. Whether the light is artificial
or natural I find that a flat white ceiling bounces the lights better.
Conversely when working in a workshop where the walls are dark gray like the
basement concrete walls the feeling is not the same. This especially true
where there are practically no windows. Also natural light coming from
windows is better distributed when the walls are lite and flat in color.
FWIW.

"Rich" wrote in message

"ToolMiser" wrote in message
Another thing to think about is that no matter what color you choose, if
you
are like a lot of us, you will cover the walls with tools anyway so they
provide the color. If you need more color, get more tools!

I concur!! Spoke shaves usually have nice red handles...etc...

Rich B

mac davis

wrote:

I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that
I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on
for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have
done out there.

Thanks,
Mark

any color of semi gloss washable white that you like..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally Dan Musicant Metalworking 11 August 21st 20 01:03 PM
Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM