Doug

Default saw choice for miter cuts

There is almost always more than one way to perform any given operation
in a WW project. But in general, all things being equal, which machine
would you reach for when making a miter cut, or any similar angled
crosscut that needs to be as precise as you can make it. Is there
reason to believe, for example, that a table saw, properly set up,
would give superior results? Would the miter saw. Does it depend
entirely on the settup of the machine? or is it simply user preference?

max

Any method will work in the hands of some one skilled and who cares enough
to get it right. I reach for the easiest tool first. So if it were under 10
or so inches wide I would use the miter saw. Larger pieces would require a
tablesaw.
max

There is almost always more than one way to perform any given operation
in a WW project. But in general, all things being equal, which machine
would you reach for when making a miter cut, or any similar angled
crosscut that needs to be as precise as you can make it. Is there
reason to believe, for example, that a table saw, properly set up,
would give superior results? Would the miter saw. Does it depend
entirely on the settup of the machine? or is it simply user preference?

GerryG

I completely agree. Part of this is adjusting and testing your tools
before you need to use them. I can get as accurate a miter on my RAS as
with the Incra on the TS. Recently had to do a 6 foot long angle cut.
Took it rough with a sabre saw, then finished on the jointer.
GerryG

max wrote:
Any method will work in the hands of some one skilled and who cares enough
to get it right. I reach for the easiest tool first. So if it were under 10
or so inches wide I would use the miter saw. Larger pieces would require a
tablesaw.
max

There is almost always more than one way to perform any given operation
in a WW project. But in general, all things being equal, which machine
would you reach for when making a miter cut, or any similar angled
crosscut that needs to be as precise as you can make it. Is there
reason to believe, for example, that a table saw, properly set up,
would give superior results? Would the miter saw. Does it depend
entirely on the settup of the machine? or is it simply user preference?

Bob G

On 18 Feb 2005 18:03:32 -0800, "Doug" wrote:

There is almost always more than one way to perform any given operation
in a WW project. But in general, all things being equal, which machine
would you reach for when making a miter cut, or any similar angled
crosscut that needs to be as precise as you can make it. Is there
reason to believe, for example, that a table saw, properly set up,
would give superior results? Would the miter saw. Does it depend
entirely on the settup of the machine? or is it simply user preference?

===================
Looks like nobody has replied to your question....

All I an say is that my TS is more accurate then my CMS...so for any
critical work the TS gets the nod....if trimming a house then the CMS
is good enough...

The Key word above is MY.... in referencing the TS & CMS ...... Other
guys may have a killer CMS and a cheap TS...

Bob Griffiths
My way is not the only way BUT with MY tools its the best way
toller

Before I had a miter saw or a table saw capable of cutting a miter
accurately I did one on my router table and another and my belt sander. I
dont recommend those methods.

Mike

On 18 Feb 2005 18:03:32 -0800, "Doug" wrote:

in a WW project. But in general, all things being equal, which machine
would you reach for when making a miter cut, or any similar angled
crosscut that needs to be as precise as you can make it. Is there
reason to believe, for example, that a table saw, properly set up,
would give superior results? Would the miter saw. Does it depend
entirely on the settup of the machine? or is it simply user preference?

I've been cutting window and door trim for longer than I like to
remember and prefer to use the table saw. I was taught that way and
haven't found a better way in all these years.
I have used a mitre saw on small jobs where there was only a door or
two and where the table saw was not needed. You can make the joints
look good with a mitre saw but it does not seem as easy to me.
Of course I've seen guys trim all the doors and windows with a mitre
saw so maybe it's whatever you're comfortable with.

Mike O.
Slowhand

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
There is almost always more than one way to perform any given operation
in a WW project. But in general, all things being equal, which machine
would you reach for when making a miter cut, or any similar angled
crosscut that needs to be as precise as you can make it. Is there
reason to believe, for example, that a table saw, properly set up,
would give superior results? Would the miter saw. Does it depend
entirely on the settup of the machine? or is it simply user preference?

When I need a true mitre cut, i.e. making picture frames, I cut them at the
table saw. For most everything else, I use my dewalt chop saw.
SH

Nova

Doug wrote:

There is almost always more than one way to perform any given operation
in a WW project. But in general, all things being equal, which machine
would you reach for when making a miter cut, or any similar angled
crosscut that needs to be as precise as you can make it. Is there
reason to believe, for example, that a table saw, properly set up,
would give superior results? Would the miter saw. Does it depend
entirely on the settup of the machine? or is it simply user preference?

For the most precision make the initial cut slightly oversized with any
miter method and make the final cut with a Lions Miter Trimmer:

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...htm?E+coastest

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

J. Clarke

Doug wrote:

There is almost always more than one way to perform any given operation
in a WW project. But in general, all things being equal, which machine
would you reach for when making a miter cut, or any similar angled
crosscut that needs to be as precise as you can make it. Is there
reason to believe, for example, that a table saw, properly set up,
would give superior results? Would the miter saw. Does it depend
entirely on the settup of the machine? or is it simply user preference?

You can get a very precise miter using a purpose-made miter saw, a table
saw, any of numerous types of hand saws, a Swiss Army knife, or a handheld
rodent. But you'll find it far, far less hassle to do it with the purpose
made miter saw than with the rodent.

In other words precision comes from the workman, not the tool, but by using
a purpose made tool you can achieve a desired degree of precision with far
less effort and with significantly higher production volume than the
alternatives.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Baxi bahama 100 cuts out after 5 to 20 seconds [email protected] UK diy 1 November 20th 05 01:27 AM
power cuts Mike UK diy 5 January 24th 05 09:14 PM
Bandsaw Choice: Jet or Powermatic tzipple Woodworking 27 November 7th 04 10:02 AM
Choice of dovetail jig Rick UK diy 15 November 8th 03 03:58 PM
Basics on Depth of Cuts Chris S Metalworking 10 September 2nd 03 04:15 AM