toller

Default Miter Saw Blade versus Sliding Miter Saw Blade?

I bought, over the Internet, a new 12" Freud blade to replace my Dewalt.
Dewalt ought to be ashamed of themselves; the blade didn't cut properly when
it was brand new, but that is off topic for today.

The Freud blade says it is for sliding miter saws. I have a non-slider
(stationary?). Does it make a difference? I can't see why a slider would
require a special blade, but what do I know.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:55:08 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I bought, over the Internet, a new 12" Freud blade to replace my Dewalt.
Dewalt ought to be ashamed of themselves; the blade didn't cut properly when
it was brand new, but that is off topic for today.

The Freud blade says it is for sliding miter saws. I have a non-slider
(stationary?). Does it make a difference? I can't see why a slider would
require a special blade, but what do I know.

your saw will explode.

I would assume the difference is thet the "slide" blade has a less
agressive hook, to make it less grabby.
Rob Mitchell

toller wrote:
I bought, over the Internet, a new 12" Freud blade to replace my Dewalt.
Dewalt ought to be ashamed of themselves; the blade didn't cut properly when
it was brand new, but that is off topic for today.

The Freud blade says it is for sliding miter saws. I have a non-slider
(stationary?). Does it make a difference? I can't see why a slider would
require a special blade, but what do I know.

IIFR the compound mitre saw blade should have a slightly negative hook
angle, perhaps -5 to -10 degrees.

Edwin Pawlowski

"toller" wrote in message

I installed it and it cuts just fine. Sure is better than that Dewalt
POS.

When I bought my 12" DeWalt I figured I'd get a better blade for it before
long. I used it for a flooring project and it was adequate. Then I let a
friend use it for a laminate floor knowing it would trash the blade and I'd
get a new one anyway.. I decided to send a couple of blades (one a Freud
that I liked) for sharpening and figured for $15 I'd get the DeWalt done at
the same time.

The DeWalt is cutting better than new and I have no desire to get a better
blade now.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Patriarch

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

When I bought my 12" DeWalt I figured I'd get a better blade for it
before long. I used it for a flooring project and it was adequate.
Then I let a friend use it for a laminate floor knowing it would trash
the blade and I'd get a new one anyway.. I decided to send a couple
of blades (one a Freud that I liked) for sharpening and figured for
$15 I'd get the DeWalt done at the same time.

The DeWalt is cutting better than new and I have no desire to get a
better blade now.

Most of my blades come back cutting better than new. One of the better
values in woodworking.

I use the DW 80T finish blade most frequently in the 12" DeWalt CMS.

Patriarch
Mike Marlow

"toller" wrote in message

I installed it and it cuts just fine. Sure is better than that Dewalt

POS.
Purely out of curiosity, since the blade is fine, what would a more
aggresive hook do? Cut faster, smoother, or what?

Don't know which DeWalt blade you had on your saw toller, but I have one on
both my table saw and on my miter saw. Not for any special reason, just
because. Both cut just fine. I've had lots of other blades before and I
don't see any problem with these DeWalt blades. Don't sell them short just
because of this one experience.
--

-Mike-