Default Which laser level works outdoors?

I searched the discussion groups for laser levels and found a few
references here so I will ask you for assistance.

Can anyone tell me if there exists a tool to project a straight line
about 10 feet outdoors?

I am looking for a laser level (or some other tool) to project a line
outdoors on the ground (actually a very well maintained, extremely
short cut grass lawn) on a sunny day. I would like to be able to see
the line for 8 to 10 feet (maximum of 20 feet). I am looking for a
laser level type of projection because I can not drive any stake into
the lawn and I can not leave a mark on the lawn when I am finished.
Also other people will be walking around the area and I do not want
them to trip over any physical line. I need to adjust/rotate the
projected straight line easily a few degrees to the left or the right
as needed.

I have tried the $40 to $50 laser levels found at Home Depot, Lowes, or
Menards (take your pick) and they work poorly outside (in sunlight no
line is visible). I expect there exists a solution but my price range
is limited.

Your suggestions (and price ranges) are most welcome.

TIA, Terry

TaskMule

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

No store bought laser will give you an actual line you can reliably see in
sunny daylight.
Also they will not give you an actual line, just a single dot.
A proper spinning laser ($300 and up) will give you an actual line but will
be very difficult to see in sunny daylight. Especially on grass

Leon

"TaskMule" wrote in message

No store bought laser will give you an actual line you can reliably see in
sunny daylight.

While I cannot contest this statement and can agree that is true with my
findings,

Also they will not give you an actual line, just a single dot.

I can say the my cheapo laser level does in fact dies cast a line the entire
length of its beam very similar to those found on miter saws.

bmejerle

Terry,

You might take a look at the PLS2E (Pacific Laser Systems). I've been very
pleased with my PLS2. It projects both a horizontal and/or plum line and is
self leveling. It works best when inside or where there is some shade.
However, PLS has just come out with the PLS2E which can be used outside in
bright sunlight. I believe these units include a special receptor which is
sensitive to the laser. I don't know what your price point is, but most all
of the professional grade laser levels will run several hundred dollars.
You get what you pay for....

Bob

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

CW

Mine too.

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

I can say the my cheapo laser level does in fact dies cast a line the

entire
length of its beam very similar to those found on miter saws.

Robert Bonomi

In article .com,
wrote:
I searched the discussion groups for laser levels and found a few
references here so I will ask you for assistance.

Can anyone tell me if there exists a tool to project a straight line
about 10 feet outdoors?

Yes, such things _do_ exist. But they are expensive. VERY *EXPENSIVE*.

[...]

Sounds to me like your best bet is to 'snap' a _chalk_line_, and then
vaccum up the chalk afterwards, if necessary.

Alternatives are to put up something to block enough of the 'ambient'
light that you _can_ see the el-cheapo laser level. Essentially, build
a temporary 'cave' to work in.

Mike Marlow

wrote in message

survey twine and two bricks. the twine comes in dayglo colors. the
bricks are red. if you need more visibility, paint the bricks dayglo
too.

wrap the twine around the brick two or three turns and stretch it
where you need it.

I second that motion. Essentially the same thing masons do when laying
blocks, except on a smaller scale. Works for them, should work for the OP.
--

-Mike-

Charlie Self

Yeah. Pacific Laser's PLS5X comes in at about $560, and needs a tripod
and probably a tripod adapter. Everything Stanley makes is rated for
interior use, as is everything else PLS makes.

As someone notes, a couple bricks and layout string will be cheapest
and best.

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:10:21 -0500, "TaskMule"
wrote:

No store bought laser will give you an actual line you can reliably see in
sunny daylight.

Goggles and masking tape backgrounds help, but this is certainly an
issue.

Also they will not give you an actual line, just a single dot.

I've just bought a new £50 level for tiling - a pendulum mechanism
with a horizontal and vertical line generator lens on it (not a
rotating mirror). Two excellent lines, which are really intended for
indoor use square-on to the wall, but they still make a useful
horizontal line for outdoor use, projecting along the surface.

TaskMule

wrote:

No store bought laser will give you an actual line you can reliably see

in
sunny daylight.

Goggles and masking tape backgrounds help, but this is certainly an
issue.

Also they will not give you an actual line, just a single dot.

I've just bought a new £50 level for tiling - a pendulum mechanism
with a horizontal and vertical line generator lens on it (not a
rotating mirror). Two excellent lines, which are really intended for
indoor use square-on to the wall, but they still make a useful
horizontal line for outdoor use, projecting along the surface.

OK, yea, I know those ones. good point

TeamCasa

If money is the restrictive factor, use clear tubing and water.
Or rent a sight level (builders level).

Dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

http://www.usenet.com

Mike Marlow

"TaskMule" wrote in message

From the original post it would appear that he doesn't want to distrub

other
golfers on the green, heh

Yup - sorta makes the bricks and string idea a bit inappropriate, huh?
--

-Mike-

[Tool review] - Laser level Andy Dingley UK diy 3 April 5th 06 10:58 PM
Laser Level Kit PoP UK diy 23 November 4th 03 12:34 AM
Argon Laser, 150mW, American Laser Spudley Electronics 0 October 3rd 03 07:19 AM
laser level safety googles Grunff UK diy 6 August 29th 03 08:03 PM
diy laser steering track adjustment Charles M Atkinson UK diy 14 August 15th 03 10:51 PM