joey

Default Hot Dipped Galvanived Screws

Hi All
I've always used these screws for out door furniture with very good results
after 10-15 years. Tried to get some for ala Norm adirondack chairs I'm
building for a nephew. Local yards and the borg say these screws are being
phased out in favor of a coated screw like GripRite. Question is are they as
good or better for non-staining ?
Joe

Phil at small (vs at large)

joey wrote:
Hi All
I've always used these screws for out door furniture with very good

results
after 10-15 years. Tried to get some for ala Norm adirondack chairs

I'm
building for a nephew. Local yards and the borg say these screws are

being
phased out in favor of a coated screw like GripRite. Question is are

they as
good or better for non-staining ?
Joe

I used the coated screws on a deck for my neighbor (n cent Tx) 2 years
ago-- no staining yet-- got-em at Lowes, don't remember the brand. They
were in reg wolmanized (getting scarce now- the wood, not the screws)
PH

Edwin Pawlowski

"joey" wrote in message
Hi All
I've always used these screws for out door furniture with very good
results
after 10-15 years. Tried to get some for ala Norm adirondack chairs I'm
building for a nephew. Local yards and the borg say these screws are being
phased out in favor of a coated screw like GripRite. Question is are they
as
good or better for non-staining ?
Joe

I've used them on decking and they seem OK. On furniture, I've been using
stainless steel. You can get some nice square drive SS screws from both Lee
Valley and McFeelys.

Lew Hodgett

"joey" writes:

I've always used these screws for out door furniture with very good

results
after 10-15 years. Tried to get some for ala Norm adirondack chairs I'm
building for a nephew. Local yards and the borg say these screws are being
phased out in favor of a coated screw like GripRite. Question is are they

as
good or better for non-staining ?

IMHO, I doubt it, but what the heck, I'm a boat builder..

Why not go stainless?

They aren't that expensive.

Might want to take a look at Jamestown Distributors.

HTH

Lew

Dave Jackson

As far as non-staining, it really depends on what type of wood you are
screwing together. For example, galvanized can stain cedar and redwood
easily, but not so for SYP.
Square drive stainless steel are my favorite, will not stain anything i know
of, and are worth the extra few cents per screw. --dave

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...

"joey" writes:

I've always used these screws for out door furniture with very good

results
after 10-15 years. Tried to get some for ala Norm adirondack chairs I'm
building for a nephew. Local yards and the borg say these screws are
being
phased out in favor of a coated screw like GripRite. Question is are they

as
good or better for non-staining ?

IMHO, I doubt it, but what the heck, I'm a boat builder..

Why not go stainless?

They aren't that expensive.

Might want to take a look at Jamestown Distributors.

HTH

Lew

Greg

I think the real problem is the new PT lumber. It eats galvanized screws
Charlie Self

gfretwell responds:

I think the real problem is the new PT lumber. It eats galvanized screws

I think someof the problem is mislabeling of galvanized screws. About 16 years
ago,I built a redwood deck on this house, using double dipped galvanized. For
the past year, I've been replacing deck boards that rotted around the rusted
screws. I'm using stainless from McFeely's this time.

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some
kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,
2000
Phisherman

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:18:53 -0800, "joey" wrote:

Hi All
I've always used these screws for out door furniture with very good results
after 10-15 years. Tried to get some for ala Norm adirondack chairs I'm
building for a nephew. Local yards and the borg say these screws are being
phased out in favor of a coated screw like GripRite. Question is are they as
good or better for non-staining ?
Joe

On one show, Norm mentioned that galvanized screws eventually stained
wood (whether it be white oak, teak, cypress, redwood, cedar or PT).
I used galvanized screws on a large outdoor plant stand, but I don't
expect the stand to last much more than 10-15 years. On better
outdoor furniture use stainless steel screws--a little expensive but
no staining at all.
joey

Yep thats what my bother told me. The acid in older PT eats galvinized
screws apprently newer PT is a safer "gnawable" formula

"Greg" wrote in message
I think the real problem is the new PT lumber. It eats galvanized screws

joey

I'll check them out should a thought of them. The wood I use from HD is
labeled kiln dried straight grain doug fir is medium soft so I also liked
the coarser threads on galvinized in the past I haven't been able to find SS
in coarse threads

"joey" writes:

I've always used these screws for out door furniture with very good

results
after 10-15 years. Tried to get some for ala Norm adirondack chairs I'm
building for a nephew. Local yards and the borg say these screws are

being
phased out in favor of a coated screw like GripRite. Question is are

they
as
good or better for non-staining ?

IMHO, I doubt it, but what the heck, I'm a boat builder..

Why not go stainless?

They aren't that expensive.

Might want to take a look at Jamestown Distributors.

HTH

Lew

Charlie Self

joey responds:

Check www.mcfeely.com. Deck screws. Remarkable.

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some
kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,
2000
John

I agree, for most outdoor furniture, I have gone to 100% SS fasteners.
Cost for something like an Adirondack charge going stainless kicks the
price up probably less than a couple dollars, and eliminates virutally
ALL possibility of staining.

John

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 03:13:10 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"joey" wrote in message
Hi All
I've always used these screws for out door furniture with very good
results
after 10-15 years. Tried to get some for ala Norm adirondack chairs I'm
building for a nephew. Local yards and the borg say these screws are being
phased out in favor of a coated screw like GripRite. Question is are they
as
good or better for non-staining ?
Joe

I've used them on decking and they seem OK. On furniture, I've been using
stainless steel. You can get some nice square drive SS screws from both Lee
Valley and McFeelys.

John

Greg

The NEW copper based PT lumber is WORSE for eating/corroding
galvanized hardware than the old PT lumber. Most folks are either
going with super heavy galvanized stuff for the new PT lumber, OR (in
my opinion the better choice) going to SS hardware/fasteners (and that
included things like joist hangers, j-bolts in the foundation/etc

John

"Greg" wrote in message
I think the real problem is the new PT lumber. It eats galvanized screws

Patriarch

"joey" wrote in :

I'll check them out should a thought of them. The wood I use from HD
is labeled kiln dried straight grain doug fir is medium soft so I also
liked the coarser threads on galvinized in the past I haven't been
able to find SS in coarse threads

My local full service lumber yard has them in boxes as well as by the
pound. Square drive, too.

My _only_ problem with McFeeley's is that I have to plan more than 20
minutes ahead.

Patriarch