cyrille de brébisson

Default Workbench with or without router insert?

Hello,

I am building a workbench out of 2*4 (cheap and easy :-) and my original
plan was to make a hole in the middle of it to insert my router and have a
workbench/router table all in one.

For the moment, I am using a router table made out of a 3'*3' sheet of
composit board which is hinged on 2 of the garage studs in order to allow to
"fold it up"...

I was wondering what your thought were about a inserting the router in the
middle of the workbench...

PS: there would be obviously a 2nd plate that I can put in place of the
router insert to avoid having the hole in the middle of the workbench...

cyrille

BillyBob

"cyrille de brébisson" wrote in message
Hello,

I was wondering what your thought were about a inserting the router in the
middle of the workbench...

Personally, I don't like the idea. I think it would be a royal pain to pull
a router in and out of a top to use it for another purpose, especially a
work bench. Since you indicate that space is a constraint, consider just
using a small router table that sits on top of the bench or another fold-out
table to the side or on the front of the workbench. I've seen some pretty
efficient designs that use a small fold-out top for the router which is
flush with the main bench to take advantage of its adjoining space.

Bob

FriscoSoxFan

I disagree. If you have one of the PC/Dewalt/bosch combo bases, you can
permanently mount the fixed base on your plate and use the plunge base
for free-hand routing. This is what I am doing right now. The fold down
table Idea seems fine to me. I actually have a fold down table like
described, but my router table is built into a nother bench. Go for it.

Caution: Since you will be having a heavy, sharp, whirring blade, you
should look at how well your legs lock in the down position. If they
can be kicked out in any way, you risk serious injury.

Edwin Pawlowski

"cyrille de brébisson" wrote in message

I am building a workbench out of 2*4 (cheap and easy :-) and my original
plan was to make a hole in the middle of it to insert my router and have a
workbench/router table all in one.

Why not? It may not be a nice as having a separate table, but is sure
better than having nothing. Biggest problem I see is clearing the bench
when you need to use it. OTOH, clearing the bench is something I should do
more of anyway.

BillyBob

"FriscoSoxFan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I disagree. If you have one of the PC/Dewalt/bosch combo bases, you can
permanently mount the fixed base on your plate and use the plunge base
for free-hand routing.

Yes, that changes the equation.

Bob

Joseph Smith

I don't know if this will help any, but this is what I did:
I have a Hitachi MV-12 and a Rockler Router Table.
I decided to build an all purpose bench for work and for
glue ups, but in my Garaaashop I was limited on space
for this and a router table.
For compromise I built the bench running along the wall.
It rests on some drawered cabinets connected with 2X4
framing. The bench top is made from gluing together two
layers of MDF with several coats of Helmsman Urethane
for the top surface. At the end portion of the bench the bottom
layer of MDF has a hole big enough for the router to be taken
in and out. The top layer of MDF has a hole cut to the size
of my Rockler Router Table top. The router top fits right in
and has enough clearance that I can still use jigs and accessories
in the miter slot. When I need more bench space I lift out my
router table and insert a piece of MDF that is same size.

Joey in Chesapeake
"cyrille de brébisson" wrote in message
Hello,

I am building a workbench out of 2*4 (cheap and easy :-) and my original
plan was to make a hole in the middle of it to insert my router and have a
workbench/router table all in one.

For the moment, I am using a router table made out of a 3'*3' sheet of
composit board which is hinged on 2 of the garage studs in order to allow
to "fold it up"...

I was wondering what your thought were about a inserting the router in the
middle of the workbench...

PS: there would be obviously a 2nd plate that I can put in place of the
router insert to avoid having the hole in the middle of the workbench...

cyrille

Silvan

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

better than having nothing. Biggest problem I see is clearing the bench
when you need to use it. OTOH, clearing the bench is something I should
do more of anyway.

I'll have you know I am entering Week 2, I think, of having nothing on my
bench but dust, pencils, a saddle square, dovetail markers, spare dogs, and
a ceramic heater. So far I have managed to be a good boy and put my toys
away at the end of each day (and these toys have dedicated homes on the
bench). It's such a strange experience having a workbench that I can use
without shoving a bunch of stuff from one place to another.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Ken

Amen to that
Greg O

"cyrille de brébisson" wrote in message
Hello,

I am building a workbench out of 2*4 (cheap and easy :-) and my original
plan was to make a hole in the middle of it to insert my router and have a
workbench/router table all in one.

I donno. My router table is much taller than my workbench. Maybe I an weird,
but I like my router table to be nearly chest high so I don't need to been
over to see what I an doing.
Greg

max

I too have ridiculous bench heights in my shop. I built a chop saw bench and
fence system in my shop. It is 16 feet long and it is up around 48 inches
high. When doing a lot of repetitive cuts you don't have to bend over to see
the cutting area and marks on the wood. I have a metal lathe that I jacked
up for similar reasons. You can stand up right without leaning. My floor
model drill press is mounted on a foundation footing about 15 inches off the
floor. Not only can I sweep under it but guess what? No bending.
My back is strong and I don't have issues bending but the fatigue factor of
standing in front of a tool for an hour or more is practically eliminated.
What tool heights do you use?
max