Paul Hays

Default Yet more nailgun follies, or, why not to tape down the trigger...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat...il-skull_x.htm

LITTLETON, Colo. (AP) ‹ A dentist found the source of the toothache Patrick
Lawler was complaining about on the roof of his mouth: a four-inch nail the
construction worker had unknowingly embedded in his skull six days earlier.

It doesn't actually say that he'd taped the trigger, but blamed the accident
on a "backfire".

Woodcrafter

Weird, how could you not feel that? If anything, he would certainly have had
a bit of blood in his mouth. I wonder how much the truth was bent, and by
who? :-)
Ouch!

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 70 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Infinity Kitchen Making Router Bit Set
- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps
- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment
- Ryobi Right Angle Drill
- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

"Paul Hays" wrote in message
thlink.net...
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat...il-skull_x.htm

LITTLETON, Colo. (AP) A dentist found the source of the toothache

Patrick
Lawler was complaining about on the roof of his mouth: a four-inch nail

the
construction worker had unknowingly embedded in his skull six days

earlier.

It doesn't actually say that he'd taped the trigger, but blamed the

accident
on a "backfire".

Dave Jackson

Ya know, I can't think of any framing gun capable of handling a 4" nail.
All the ones I've ever used had 3 1/2" max capacity except a palm
nailer..... hmmmm........naw, he couldn't have done that with a palm
nailer, could he? --dave

"Woodcrafter" wrote in message
u...
Weird, how could you not feel that? If anything, he would certainly have
had
a bit of blood in his mouth. I wonder how much the truth was bent, and by
who? :-)
Ouch!

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 70 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Infinity Kitchen Making Router Bit Set
- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps
- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment
- Ryobi Right Angle Drill
- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

"Paul Hays" wrote in message
thlink.net...
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat...il-skull_x.htm

LITTLETON, Colo. (AP) A dentist found the source of the toothache

Patrick
Lawler was complaining about on the roof of his mouth: a four-inch nail

the
construction worker had unknowingly embedded in his skull six days

earlier.

It doesn't actually say that he'd taped the trigger, but blamed the

accident
on a "backfire".

bkr

Woodcrafter wrote:

Weird, how could you not feel that? If anything, he would certainly have had
a bit of blood in his mouth. I wonder how much the truth was bent, and by
who? :-)
Ouch!

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 70 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Infinity Kitchen Making Router Bit Set
- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps
- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment
- Ryobi Right Angle Drill
- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

"Paul Hays" wrote in message
thlink.net...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat...il-skull_x.htm

LITTLETON, Colo. (AP) A dentist found the source of the toothache

Patrick

Lawler was complaining about on the roof of his mouth: a four-inch nail

the

construction worker had unknowingly embedded in his skull six days

earlier.

It doesn't actually say that he'd taped the trigger, but blamed the

accident

on a "backfire".

Pain is a very interesting thing that way. I've had plenty of things
punctured where I didn't feel any pain (including my nose, my tongue,
and several other, less "sensitive" body parts) It really depends on
how you're wired, basically. Nerve receptors aren't exact science and
you will often feel pain in the "wrong" place, especially in situations
like this. I mean, how many nerve endings are there in the top of your
mouth and your sinus cavities? As for blood, unless the nail is removed
there's no reason to expect a lot of blood either.

Still, makes you think twice doesn't it?

bkr
Dave Jackson

(snip) Weird, how could you not feel that?

No kiddin' the article said he "unknowingly embedded in his skull six days
earlier" If he "unknowingly" did it, how'd he pinpoint that it was 6 days
ago? And, more importantly, how the heck did he get it through the roof of
his mouth and into his skull pointing straight up AND not realise it?
BULL! I can touch the top of my mouth with my tongue and can feel it, so I
can't imagine a framing spike blasting through the roof of my mouth and into
my skull and "not realise it". Either he was goofing off and knew exactly
what he did, or this was one helluva stupid botched suicide attempt.
I use a framing gun almost daily, and have seen quite a few accidents.
Unless the business end of the gun is very near a body part when it fires,
the nail generally sticks out, at least enough to remove it. The real
question is why did he have that gun in his mouth to begin with. That was no
"accident" , there is his story, and there is the truth. He's a TRUE
dumbass, and full of BS. --dave

"bkr" wrote in message
Woodcrafter wrote:

Weird, how could you not feel that? If anything, he would certainly have
had
a bit of blood in his mouth. I wonder how much the truth was bent, and by
who? :-)
Ouch!

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 70 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Infinity Kitchen Making Router Bit Set
- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps
- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment
- Ryobi Right Angle Drill
- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet
Construction

"Paul Hays" wrote in message
thlink.net...

[...]

John Emmons

I guess the thought that maybe the nail itself and it's position in the
guy's head might have affected his memory hasn't occurred to anyone?

As for the dating, perhaps either the guy or his wife or fellow workers were
able to recall when he worked with his nail gun the last time?

Or maybe the whole thing is BS. Who cares?

John Emmons
k.net...

"bkr" wrote in message
Woodcrafter wrote:

[...]

"Paul Hays" wrote in message
thlink.net...

[...]

Brian Henderson

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 01:34:17 GMT, Paul Hays
wrote:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat...il-skull_x.htm

LITTLETON, Colo. (AP) ‹ A dentist found the source of the toothache Patrick
Lawler was complaining about on the roof of his mouth: a four-inch nail the
construction worker had unknowingly embedded in his skull six days earlier.

He was just letting the brad hold it until the glue dried.
Doug Brown

When is the last time (or even first time for that matter) that your dentist
took a full skull X-ray? Every time I've gone to the dentist all they do is
those annoying little "bite down on this" X-ray of the small area of your
mouth they are working on. Most dentists I know don't even have the
capacity to do a full skull X-ray.

"bkr" wrote in message
Woodcrafter wrote:

[...]

"Paul Hays" wrote in message
thlink.net...

[...]

Mike Patterson

wrote:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat...il-skull_x.htm

LITTLETON, Colo. (AP) ‹ A dentist found the source of the toothache Patrick
Lawler was complaining about on the roof of his mouth: a four-inch nail the
construction worker had unknowingly embedded in his skull six days earlier.

He was just letting the brad hold it until the glue dried.

I can hardly believe it took this long for someone to bring up this
one...

golf clap
Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
SawDust

Just FYI: It was on CNN tonight. The story is true - he's
recovering in Hospital. They even showed the x-rays. CNN thought it
was kind of a strange event "suicide", and the hospital is quoted as
saying "no". This is the second time in the past year, that someone
has come into their hospital with a nail embeded in their head and not
knowing it. Somehow they've ruled out "suicide" as the motive.

Personally, some people shouldn't be allowed to own these toys.

Pat

"bkr" wrote in message
Woodcrafter wrote:

Weird, how could you not feel that? If anything, he would certainly have
had
a bit of blood in his mouth. I wonder how much the truth was bent, and by
who? :-)
Ouch!

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 70 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Infinity Kitchen Making Router Bit Set
- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps
- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment
- Ryobi Right Angle Drill
- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet
Construction

"Paul Hays" wrote in message
thlink.net...

[...]

Glenna Rose

writes:
Just FYI: It was on CNN tonight. The story is true - he's
recovering in Hospital. They even showed the x-rays. CNN thought it
was kind of a strange event "suicide", and the hospital is quoted as
saying "no". This is the second time in the past year, that someone
has come into their hospital with a nail embeded in their head and not
knowing it. Somehow they've ruled out "suicide" as the motive.

The newscast I saw, Saturday or Sunday, didn't even imply it was a suicide
attempt and apparently went into more detail as to how it happened than
what has been relayed here. It sounds to me like CNN picked it up
elsewhere and didn't bother to get the facts for themselves. That wouldn't
a unique incident. The way it was shown on the cast I saw sounded logical
with the nailgun backfiring. As I recall, they said it hit his jaw which
is why he didn't realize there was a nail but thought the pain was because
of being hit with the nailgun; after several days, he went in to get it
checked which is when it was found what happened. Though I wouldn't say
they didn't mention a dentist, I don't recall that but that he went to the
doctor. Perhaps someone took liberties with the story to make it sound
"better." I'll tell you for certain, I find this much more believable
than women going into labor with a full-term pregnancy and claiming they
didn't know they were pregnant!

This man would not be the first person who did not know he was carrying
metal around in his body from such a freak accident until days, sometimes
even years, after the fact.

Fact is stranger than fiction, no question about that. These things
really do happen, tragically.

On the lighter side, maybe he's related to Tim Taylor.

Glenna

Silvan

Doug Brown wrote:

your
mouth they are working on. Most dentists I know don't even have the
capacity to do a full skull X-ray.

Or the spin around your head thing. The "pan scan" I think. You're right,
actually. Though I suppose an oral surgeon might have a full blown X-ray
machine. Or maybe the X-ray depicted came from the surgeon who ultimately
extracted the nail, and the dental X-ray only showed a piece of it.

No, probably not. I looked at the picture again. Those pan scan things
don't show anything that high up, and neither would standard bite blocks.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Upscale

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

This is the second or third time I've seen 'backfiring' mentioned. Does
this mean the nail fired out of other than the head of the nailgun, or
what?

I assumed it meant that the gun appeared to fire normally, but he didn't see
a nail emerge, so he just figured it was a faulty discharge. I can't
envision a nail coming out backwards, at least not on my nailgun. Shoot
forwards and ricochet, yes, but that's about it.

SawDust

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:46:07 -0800, (Glenna Rose)
wrote:

writes:
[...]

Hi Glenna,

I agree. I didn't hear anything about a dentist either. From what
I saw on the x-ray that is one lucky boy. I guess this is one of
those things, you just have to see to believe.

Pat

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:07:11 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

This is the second or third time I've seen 'backfiring' mentioned. Does
this mean the nail fired out of other than the head of the nailgun, or
what?

I think it means that the body of the nailgun flew backwards and
socked him in the mush. He knew he'd been hit by it, just didn't
realise it had also fired a nail.
Duane Bozarth

wrote:

This is the second or third time I've seen 'backfiring' mentioned. Does
this mean the nail fired out of other than the head of the nailgun, or
what?

I think it means that the body of the nailgun flew backwards and
socked him in the mush. He knew he'd been hit by it, just didn't
realise it had also fired a nail.

I've not heard enough fact to have a clue as to what actually
happened...the statement he made in the hospital that I saw wasn't even
decipherable as he was obviously still coming out from under sedation.
What I think I heard the news commentator say was that he knew one
nail had fired, but wasn't aware of the second one that got him. (And
implies that one reason he didn't realize he'd been hit was that he saw
one nail go flying so had no reason to think a second was in him. But
that's my interpretation of what I think was said.) As near as I can
tell, the second could (and based on the penetration in the x-ray almost
had to) have been a richocet or at least fired while the gun was a fair
distance from him or it would have pentrated much farther--those suckers
are flying pretty fast when they leave the muzzle. So, my guess is, the
first one caused the kick back which caused an inadvertent second to be
fired which richoceted and got him. May have been a failure of the trip
mechanism, but that has happened to me on the rare occasion...
Lobby Dosser

wrote:

This is the second or third time I've seen 'backfiring' mentioned. Does
this mean the nail fired out of other than the head of the nailgun, or
what?

I think it means that the body of the nailgun flew backwards and
socked him in the mush. He knew he'd been hit by it, just didn't
realise it had also fired a nail.

I think I understand the nailgun hitting him in the face. Thankfully I've
not had that happen to me - yet - but I can see how it might happen. But,
every time I try to envision a means of putting a 3" nail through the roof
of a mouth - even with a ricochet - I come up with a contortionist's act.
Hanging upside down with mouth open?
Old Nick

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:37:41 GMT, Lobby Dosser
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I think I understand the nailgun hitting him in the face. Thankfully I've
not had that happen to me - yet - but I can see how it might happen. But,
every time I try to envision a means of putting a 3" nail through the roof
of a mouth - even with a ricochet - I come up with a contortionist's act.
Hanging upside down with mouth open?

Expecially while being hit in the mouth by _back_ of the gun....

Fletis Humplebacker

"Old Nick"
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:37:41 GMT, Lobby Dosser
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

I think I understand the nailgun hitting him in the face. Thankfully I've
not had that happen to me - yet - but I can see how it might happen. But,
every time I try to envision a means of putting a 3" nail through the roof
of a mouth - even with a ricochet - I come up with a contortionist's act.
Hanging upside down with mouth open?

Expecially while being hit in the mouth by _back_ of the gun....

His story doesn't wash. I think he was biting his nails
and is too embarrassed to admit it.

Old Nick

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:27:58 -0800, "Fletis Humplebacker" ! vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

chnchnch!

His story doesn't wash. I think he was biting his nails
and is too embarrassed to admit it.

Silvan

Glenna Rose wrote:

they didn't mention a dentist, I don't recall that but that he went to the
doctor. Perhaps someone took liberties with the story to make it sound
"better." I'll tell you for certain, I find this much more believable

I saw it on my local BFE TV station too. They said it was a dentist.
Showed an interview with the guy with his head stitched up. (Caught a
glimpse of the idiot light at Mom's house.)

than women going into labor with a full-term pregnancy and claiming they
didn't know they were pregnant!

I know someone this happened to for real. She was extremely fat. She had
twins, and never had a clue she was pregnant until she went to the ER with
severe abdominal pain that she thought was digestion-related.

On the lighter side, maybe he's related to Tim Taylor.

He's self employed, and doesn't have any insurance. If an open gallbladder
deal costs $50,000 I shudder to think what that kind of thing is going to
set him back. Probably nothing. I think I'd be finding a bankruptcy
attorney in his shoes.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:45:53 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

He's self employed, and doesn't have any insurance. If an open gallbladder
deal costs $50,000 I shudder to think what that kind of thing is going to
set him back.

Talkshow career. He's got 15 minutes - best get on with them.