stoutman

Default Can I upgrade my rails and fence?

Has anybody upgraded to a nicer fence and rails for the Delta 36-600
contractor style saw? I dont have enough coin to buy a new saw, but I might
be able to improve the fence.

Has anyone accomplished this on this model saw?

Thank

Charlie Self

Has anybody upgraded to a nicer fence and rails for the Delta 36-600
contractor style saw? I dont have enough coin to buy a new saw, but I might
be able to improve the fence.

You should be able to fit almost any aftermarket fence if your table is 27"
deep and at least the center portion is cast iron.

Charlie Self
"One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above
that which is expected." George W. Bush
Chuck Hoffman

I have not upgraded the Delta but I did refurbish an older Craftsman
contractor saw recently and installed a new Craftsman 24/24 Align-a-rip
fence. You'd need to check carefully to see if it will fit the Delta but
the price is around $160.00 and it's a very solid, accurate fence.

"stoutman" wrote in message
. com...
Has anybody upgraded to a nicer fence and rails for the Delta 36-600
contractor style saw? I dont have enough coin to buy a new saw, but I

might
be able to improve the fence.

Has anyone accomplished this on this model saw?

Thank

Steve

I'm looking to do the same thing with my delta. Wood magazine had a
comparison of most aftermarket fences in May 2004. They charge $5 to
download the review, it actually made me rethink which fence I was
looking at. Here's the link if your interested:
http://woodstore.woodmall.com/taripfe.html

I think the VEGA was the winner for budget fence. I still sorta like
the HTC for the ease of changing fence faces and jigs as well as fine
adjustment.

Steve

Just bought this for my very old craftsmen.
http://www.incra.biz/Products/TSLS.html
I keep thinking I would like a new saw, but this old craftsmen just
keeps on churning. With a WWII and this fence I don't know what a new
saw would do for me.

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:07:49 GMT, "stoutman" wrote:

Has anybody upgraded to a nicer fence and rails for the Delta 36-600
contractor style saw? I dont have enough coin to buy a new saw, but I might
be able to improve the fence.

Has anyone accomplished this on this model saw?

Thank

busbus

stoutman,

I know what you are talking about because I have one, too. The table
is not 27" deep and most of the after-market fences won't fit. I like
the saw and it does everything I need for it to do. I simply don't
have the space for a bigger saw. But I have the same concerns about
the fence.

The best bet I have found thus far is the Accusquare Fence System. Go
to this link and scroll to the bottom of the page. You will want to
look at Model # M825 (for saws up to 23" deep):
http://www.mulecab.com/products.asp?mnu_Products=1

Upscale

"busbus" wrote in message
I know what you are talking about because I have one, too. The table
is not 27" deep and most of the after-market fences won't fit. I like
the saw and it does everything I need for it to do. I simply don't
have the space for a bigger saw. But I have the same concerns about

One aftermarket fence that doesn't depend on table width is the Excalibur
guide fence and rails. I put one on my Rockwell/Beaver tablesaw a number of
years go. Differing from many popular systems, the Excalibur rides on rails
attached to both sides of the fence and locks down on both sides. Because of
that the rear portion of the fence adjusts to match the table width exactly.
It is a big and long heavy fence and for a smaller table would definitely
hang out over the back of the saw. On nice feature of the fence is the two
parallel slots on the top of the fence which gives it the capability of
holding a jigs of different types utilizing T-slot nuts.

You might get a few comments that fastening down on both sides causes
alignment problems or some other such nonsense, but it doesn't if it's
calibrated properly, just like one should do with any tablesaw. When
calibrated properly, my fence on my contractor's saw cuts to better than
1/64" of an inch tolerances repeatedly.

Mike

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:07:49 GMT, "stoutman" wrote:

Has anybody upgraded to a nicer fence and rails for the Delta 36-600
contractor style saw? I dont have enough coin to buy a new saw, but I might
be able to improve the fence.

You might check this URL:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...?v=glance&s=hi

This is the Beisemeyer home fence. Down in the middle of the page
there is a "view the supplementary guide" . I think it's the second
installation instruction that shows the 36-600 model instructions.

I think Amazon also has a $25 discount for anything over 199.00 until
the middle of February. The page also shows free freight but I don't
know how long that lasts. If you have a local Delta dealer you can
probably get it there too.

BTW, I think this is a very good fence and although it is not quite as
heavy as the commercial grade Beisemeyer, it's still pretty beefy.

Mike O.
Bob G.

BTW, I think this is a very good fence and although it is not quite as
heavy as the commercial grade Beisemeyer, it's still pretty beefy.

Mike O.

Slight understatement.... lol...

I went with the Biesmeyer home fence 15 years ago because of its price
advantage over the commercial version... and after all these years I
am still completely satisfied... The Home version does have a
shorter fence that only overhangs the rear of the table a few inches..
but that never came into play (yet) for my work...

Bob Griffiths