toller

Default Frame & panel doors, with really thick panels?

In a woodworkers shop I found a cabinet very similar to the one I am working
on, so I studied it pretty carefully.

His frame and panel doors have 3/4" frames and 1/2" thick panels. I haven't
seen anything like that before, and didn't like it.

Is that a particular style? It just looks coarse, but if it is a style...

Wilson Lamb

If you don't have a backcutter, you can raise a 1/2" panel to keep the face
of the panel flush with the doorframe. With the door closed you can't tell
the difference and not one person in 20 will look at the back. The
backcutter is pretty cheap, so if you have 3/4 wood, go for it!
Wilson