Brian Elfert

Default Black pipe or galvanized for air?

For compressed air, is galvanized or black pipe better? Any reasons not
to use galvanized pipe?

Are 1/4" NPT black pipe nipples commonly sold at hardware or home
improvement stores? I've tried one of each and come up empty so far.

Brian Elfert
Lew Hodgett

"Brian Elfert" writes:

For compressed air, is galvanized or black pipe better?

Black.

Any reasons not
to use galvanized pipe?

Yes, under some conditions, it can flake and become a real PITA.

Much better to use black, pitch it 1/4"/foot and install a drain petcock on
the low end, if you are building a distribution system.

Drain it frequently, say weekly.

HTH

Lew

Roger Shoaf

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
For compressed air, is galvanized or black pipe better? Any reasons not
to use galvanized pipe?

Are 1/4" NPT black pipe nipples commonly sold at hardware or home
improvement stores? I've tried one of each and come up empty so far.

Brian Elfert

Either should work fine. In the old days galvanized pipe was hot dipped and
tended to flake. The newer stuff is elecrogalvanized and the flaking
problem is negligible.

Black nipples should be available commonly but if you can't find black go
ahead and use the galvanized.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 01:04:22 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
calmly ranted:

Black nipples should be available commonly but if you can't find black go
ahead and use the galvanized.

I'd make a comment about that but it would be in goo^H^H^Hpoor taste.
wink

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming

TeamCasa

I would suggest black pipe, create a "drip leg" with a drain at ever end or
connection. Make sure it is installed is such a way that water could not
stand anywhere. Imagine pouring in water at one end and it draining
completely.

Dave

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
For compressed air, is galvanized or black pipe better? Any reasons not
to use galvanized pipe?

Are 1/4" NPT black pipe nipples commonly sold at hardware or home
improvement stores? I've tried one of each and come up empty so far.

Brian Elfert

Brian Elfert

"TeamCasa" writes:

I would suggest black pipe, create a "drip leg" with a drain at ever end or
connection. Make sure it is installed is such a way that water could not
stand anywhere. Imagine pouring in water at one end and it draining
completely.

My design has a drip leg at every outlet. The main line is about 25 feet
and I plan to have about 4" of slope.

My plan was to have a drip leg at the end of the main line, but that would
mean water could collect at the end of the main line where my elbow going
up would be. I better change things so I can drain the main line.

Brian Elfert
Duane Bozarth

Brian Elfert wrote:

My design has a drip leg at every outlet. The main line is about 25 feet
and I plan to have about 4" of slope.

Alternative, use a drop connection of two 90 street ells, first pointing
up, the second to turn it over for the outlet...condensate will stay in
the main header to be drained there...

My plan was to have a drip leg at the end of the main line, but that would
mean water could collect at the end of the main line where my elbow going
up would be. I better change things so I can drain the main line.

Use a tee w/ a drain valve below the supply connection instead of an
elbow...
Brian Elfert

Duane Bozarth writes:

Brian Elfert wrote:

My design has a drip leg at every outlet. The main line is about 25 feet
and I plan to have about 4" of slope.

Alternative, use a drop connection of two 90 street ells, first pointing
up, the second to turn it over for the outlet...condensate will stay in
the main header to be drained there...

This is exactly what I am doing. This is why the condensate will stay in
the main line unless I add a provision for draining the end of the main
line.

Brian Elfert