Default Planer/Jointer

So I purchased a new woodworking book today, and they detail the use of
a combination planer/ jointer. Do these exist still? Or rather are they
still being made? Are they worth the purchase price? I am trying to
figure out a way to only buy one of these toys as the basement is
growing smaller with each week, but think I ultimately need both...

Unisaw A100

megold.andrew wrote:
So I purchased a new woodworking book today, and they detail the use of
a combination planer/ jointer. Do these exist still? Or rather are they
still being made?

Yes and yes but I'm not sure what it is you've seen. The
Hitachi P12RA is a side-by-side machine with a dedicated
jointer and dedicated planer. Others might make one also.
I believe Makita made one once upon a time.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...27358?v=glance

There are also machines that combine the two machines using
the same cutter head like a Rojek (there are others). It
requires that you choose the function and configure the
machine (move the jointer bed out of the way to use it as a
planer) at the time you are using it.

http://www.rojekusa.com/PHP/msp310m.php

Anyways, the long and the short of it is, yes they are still
made.

Are they worth the purchase price?

I can't answer that. I will say that the Rojek style
machines (there are other manufacturers) offer the nicety of
a wider jointer (the same width as the planer built into the
same machine). For that alone some people are tempted to
have one.

Another neat little featurette of the Rojek is an available
at any time slot mortiser add on.

http://www.rojekusa.com/PHP/msp415.php

I am trying to figure out a way to only buy one of these toys as the basement is
growing smaller with each week, but think I ultimately need both...

The latter is true.

UA100
Charlie Self

UA100 notes:

http://www.rojekusa.com/PHP/msp310m.php

Anyways, the long and the short of it is, yes they are still
made.

Are they worth the purchase price?

I can't answer that. I will say that the Rojek style
machines (there are other manufacturers) offer the nicety of
a wider jointer (the same width as the planer built into the
same machine). For that alone some people are tempted to
have one.

One kicker, or at least I think it may be: aren't most of those combo machines
kind of short in the bed for jointers? I could be wrong (easily, here), but
those I've seen do not have beds ove about 5' long.

Charlie Self
"One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above
that which is expected." George W. Bush
Leon

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
UA100 notes:

One kicker, or at least I think it may be: aren't most of those combo
machines
kind of short in the bed for jointers? I could be wrong (easily, here),
but
those I've seen do not have beds ove about 5' long.

IIRC the Hitachi bed is about 3' long and the planer is just larger than a
portable.

mike hide

wrote in message
oups.com...
So I purchased a new woodworking book today, and they detail the use of
a combination planer/ jointer. Do these exist still? Or rather are they
still being made? Are they worth the purchase price? I am trying to
figure out a way to only buy one of these toys as the basement is
growing smaller with each week, but think I ultimately need both...

I have a Makita planer joiner that I would like to get rid of . A super
machine with an independant long bed 6" joiner and 12 " planer on a common
base .

I used this machine on a daily basis un0til I got an 8" grizzele guts joiner
and a 20" planer . the makita joiner actually has a longer bed than the 8"
joiner.

the infeed /outfeed rollers need resurfacing, which can be done by most
printing machine roller surfacing companies, cost is in the region of $200.

Jim Behning

I have a Makita combo machine but not like these. It has a planer and
a jointer spinning blades off the same shaft or axle. The jointer has
its own knives. The planer has its own blades. Two totally seperate
beds.

Groggy wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:26:04 +0200, Phil Hansen
wrote:

On 8 Jan 2005 23:55:38 -0800, wrote:

So I purchased a new woodworking book today, and they detail the use of
a combination planer/ jointer. Do these exist still? Or rather are they
still being made? Are they worth the purchase price? I am trying to
figure out a way to only buy one of these toys as the basement is
growing smaller with each week, but think I ultimately need both...

I have a Kity (European) 10" jointer and planer. If space is limited
it has its advantages. As far as swopping from from mode to the other
- a pain. You can have mine.
Joint everything, change to planer and get working. Find you have cut
one piece short. Loose all your settings and change over. Painful.
I am really considering getting another planer and leaving the Kity as
a dedicated jointer, the bed is a bit short (1.3m) but it suits me .
You might not see the changing options as a problem and then it will
work for you. As far as I am concerned I am sorry I ever bought a
combination machine, will never consider it again.

Thanks for confirming my decision to go with seperate machines Phil. I
almost went with a KITY machine myself but didn't want to be changing
and swapping modes all the time (I get annoyed enough when constantly
changing drill bits!)

cheers,

Greg

Unisaw A100

Groggy wrote:
(I get annoyed enough when constantly changing drill bits!)

And peoples keep asking, "Why do you own so many routers?".
Too many routers! It's onna count of I own too many bits
dammit!

UA100

Groggy

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:23:54 -0600, Unisaw A100
wrote:

Groggy wrote:
(I get annoyed enough when constantly changing drill bits!)

And peoples keep asking, "Why do you own so many routers?".
Too many routers! It's onna count of I own too many bits
dammit!

UA100

One of these days they'll wake up to themselves and sell a bit that
comes with a free router.

(If you consider the prices of bits and routers, that is not as silly
as it sounds).

Groggy
Phil Hansen

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:02:14 GMT, Groggy
wrote:

Thanks for confirming my decision to go with seperate machines Phil. I
almost went with a KITY machine myself but didn't want to be changing
and swapping modes all the time (I get annoyed enough when constantly
changing drill bits!)

Hi Greg,
Another thing I forgot is that the planer is under the jointer table.
You have to constantly bend to feed the material. I seem to remember
you are over 6' so it would be worse for you than it is for me. The
exit is hidden by the infeed table so short pieces sometimes get stuck
and you have to put hands underneath to remove it with a very good
chance of getting a finger caught.
Stay with separates.
Cheers
DarylRos

o I purchased a new woodworking book today, and they detail the use of
a combination planer/ jointer. Do these exist still? Or rather are they
still being made?

Yes, and I have one. They actually tend to be high end equipment, since what
they give you is an ultra wide jointer.

The lowest end of that type is probably Inca, a 10" width, with crappy plastic
parts (if I sound bitter, I was glad to get rid of it), the other companies
that make them are all European combinaton machine companies: Felder (who also
reps Hammer), MiniMax and Laguna (who also reps Knapp, which makes Felder look
cheap).

I have the Felder, and find it excellent. Their tech support is also great. I
have a MiniMax bandsaw, and find their company also first rate. Both machines
have user groups in Yahoo/Groups. I don't have a Laguna, so I can't comment on
it.

A friend has the Hammer, and it's really a lowere end Felder, with less
adjusting capability. These machines can run from $3000 and up, I think the
Knapp may be close to $10,000.

If you are putting one in the basement, realize that, except for the Inca
(which has incredibly small tables, and all plastic gears), they weigh about
1,000 pounds and up. Lots of mass, lots of cast iron, very little vibration.
The Ffelder needs a 220v, 30amp circuit.
Upscale

"DarylRos" wrote in message
that make them are all European combinaton machine companies: Felder (who

also
reps Hammer), MiniMax and Laguna (who also reps Knapp, which makes Felder

look
cheap).

Surprised you didn't mention Hitachi. They have what appears to be a decent
planer/jointer.

http://www.hitachi.us/Apps/hitachico...me/PowerTools/

Rob Mitchell

Upscale wrote:
"DarylRos" wrote in message

that make them are all European combinaton machine companies: Felder (who

also

reps Hammer), MiniMax and Laguna (who also reps Knapp, which makes Felder

look

cheap).

Surprised you didn't mention Hitachi. They have what appears to be a decent
planer/jointer.

http://www.hitachi.us/Apps/hitachico...me/PowerTools/

I came across this little Hitachi for the first time recently when
looking through some used machinery listings. Anyone have experience
with one? Is there only one motor? Nice and small which would be a
benefit I guess, but the jointer bed looks short.

Rob

George

"Rob Mitchell" wrote in message
I came across this little Hitachi for the first time recently when
looking through some used machinery listings. Anyone have experience
with one? Is there only one motor? Nice and small which would be a
benefit I guess, but the jointer bed looks short.

Rob

Small, but doesn't mean you can stay in a small room with it. It's
noisier'n hell, and the one I used had those special "friable" feed rollers.
Bed was about the same as my 4" Rockwell, but quality nowhere near.

The one pictured has had a sheet-metal revision over the motor area, but
looks otherwise the same.

A real jointer with a quiet induction motor and a lunchbox screamer would
take up less space if you built the jointer stand and stored the planer
there.

Tim

Mini-max sells a combo jointer/planer that looks very similar to the
Rojek for $4300. 12x59 cast iron jointer, 12" planer, lots of cast
iron. A bit spendy but a nice looking machine.

http://www.minimax-usa.com/jointer-planer/fs30.html

Rikon sells a combo which is much cheaper at $600. 10x39" jointer, 10"
planer. Mostly aluminum. I think I would pass.
http://www.right-tool.com/rikrp10plan.html