BKeane71

Default Dressing up a beam

Hello, everyone.

We've been doing some construction on our house, and I have a question for you.
We've knocked down a bearing wall, placed a really thick beam, and now I'm
trying to dress up the beam so SWMBO doesn't mind looking at it. The
surrounding trim is just stained pine, but I was hoping to go a different route
with this. I was hoping to laminate some sort of wood onto it, but wasn't sure
what would look best.

The beam's dimensions are 12ft 4in long, 5 1/2 in deep, and hangs 8 1/4 in from
the ceiling, which is textured plaster.

Keep in mind I don't have a bandsaw, so I won't be able to resaw. I was
thinking of using 3/4 inch material cut to size. Also, I know that I'll need
some pretty big pieces as I want the laminated beam to look like a single
piece, rather than like a beam with a bunch of different pieces of wood glued
to it.

So, anybody have some good species of wood in mind??

Thanks a bunch.

-Barry
Slowhand

"BKeane71" wrote in message

snippage
So, anybody have some good species of wood in mind??

The world is your oyster. You can pretty much use any kind of wood known to
man. Me personally? I like to keep the wood flow going with what is
already being used so I would get some knotty pine to dress it up. No need
to glue it really. Just shoot or nail some trim nails, finish it, putty
with colored putty. If you want, you can even mitre the corners. Let us
know what you decided on so we can decide to heckle you or not. ;-)
SH

jo4hn

BKeane71 wrote:
[...]

Don't cover it at all. Rather make a totem by carving (bas-relief)
death masks of your ancestors into it. Do SWMBO a favor and include a
couple of her relatives. If you have a problem with your MIL dropping
by, include her. Classy stuff. Finally, SWMBO can keep busy carving
your face into it once she figures out what you're doing. Sweet irony.
yours ghoully,
jo4hn
:-)
mark

Depending on the makeup of your house, this may or may not fit in with the
decor...but here's what I did in a similar situation. I got some old
weathered barnwood siding and used that, mitered. It was very grey, and I'm
not sure what kind of wood it was. Cedar or some kind of fir, I think, and
about 11" wide. I couldn't get the lengths as long as I needed either, so I
had a blacksmithing friend make some straps that look like the ones here to
cover the seams. He basicall cut them out of some sheet steel, hammered on
them a bit, blackened them with some oxide process he uses, and I bolted
them on.

http://www.hennisenterprises.com/beams.htm

"BKeane71" wrote in message
[...]

Mike

On 08 Jan 2005 18:32:02 GMT, (BKeane71) wrote:

The beam's dimensions are 12ft 4in long, 5 1/2 in deep, and hangs 8 1/4 in from
the ceiling, which is textured plaster.

Keep in mind I don't have a bandsaw, so I won't be able to resaw. I was
thinking of using 3/4 inch material cut to size. Also, I know that I'll need
some pretty big pieces as I want the laminated beam to look like a single
piece, rather than like a beam with a bunch of different pieces of wood glued
to it.

It might depend on any budget concerns if you want to make it look
like one piece. Some type of pine would probably be cheapest if you
don't want to see seams along the 12' 4" length. You should be able
to get about any grade of pine, oak or maple in lengths long enough
and wide enough. This will require you to miter along the corners if
you don't want to see a butt joint.
You could cut the sides square and make the bottom hang over on both
sides (if you don't mind that look) to eliminate the need for two
12 '4" long mitered edges. You also might have some concerns about
how the material matches at the ceiling. It might be easier to use a
molding at the ceiling (cove or shoe or something you make) rather
than trying to scribe along the entire length
Some kind of finished plywood might be cheaper yet but you would have
one seam at 8' on each face. This would also require the lengthwise
miter unless you used a solid piece for the bottom and let it hang
over the sides
If the beam is wood, you should be able to nail directly to the beam.

Mike O.

Silvan

BKeane71 wrote:

So, anybody have some good species of wood in mind??

Walnut. I always have walnut in mind for everything. Always.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
....Ken

"BKeane71" wrote in message
Hello, everyone.

I was hoping to laminate some sort of wood onto it, but wasn't sure
what would look best.

The beam's dimensions are 12ft 4in long, 5 1/2 in deep, and hangs 8 1/4 in

from
the ceiling, which is textured plaster.

-Barry

So you want to glue something on to the beam and make it look 'authentic' ?

Go out and buy yourself a set of goalie shin pads.....and a broadaxe....and
hand hew the beam into an authentic hand hewn beam that you can look up at
and be proud of. If the broadaxe is intimidating go for a adze.
Remove the beam, stand on the beam and place one foot, toe up (heel on
timber) and use the toe of your shoe as a 'stop' for your adze handle (6 "
or so up from the adze head). Safer than straddling the timber when using
the adze. If you want to straddle the timber ....don't forget the hockey
goalie shin pads .

......Ken

Roger Shoaf

Really fast and cheap. Woodgrain contact paper.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"BKeane71" wrote in message
[...]

Level beam but floors still sagging?? Jeff C Home Repair 5 January 23rd 05 03:06 PM
Bouncy floor. New beam didn't fix? HerHusband Home Repair 12 October 28th 04 05:27 PM
Beam math William Pounds Home Repair 6 September 7th 04 11:46 AM
I Beam Bending Like a Pretzel??? Steve Metalworking 6 August 11th 03 04:08 PM
Moment of Inertia for S Type I Beam Steve Metalworking 6 August 9th 03 08:27 PM