Rockler Surefoot Clamps vs Bessey vs Jorgensen

Old January 6th 05, 08:11 PM
Vijay

Default Rockler Surefoot Clamps vs Bessey vs Jorgensen

How does the new line of Rocklers Sure Foot Bar Clamps
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...&filter=clamps
compare to the Bessey or Jorgensen equivalent.

One definite advantage that I see is the ability to extend the length
easily.

However I also know that the Besseys are considered the best (and that
Lee Valley has them on sale). Does anyone have personal experience
with the Rocklers?
Thanks in advance.

Old January 6th 05, 08:21 PM
ks

Looks like a very nice/workable design.
Just one niggling item, that crank, I prefer the type that can be slid out
of the way, in case of close obstruction.

ups.com...

Old January 6th 05, 10:07 PM
Big Rob

I find them much better to use than the Jorgensen clamps. I will never
buy another Jorgensen pipe clamp.

ks wrote:
Looks like a very nice/workable design.
Just one niggling item, that crank, I prefer the type that can be

slid out
of the way, in case of close obstruction.

ups.com...

Old January 6th 05, 10:13 PM
Leon

"Vijay" wrote in message
ups.com...
How does the new line of Rocklers Sure Foot Bar Clamps
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...&filter=clamps
compare to the Bessey or Jorgensen equivalent.

One definite advantage that I see is the ability to extend the length
easily.

However I also know that the Besseys are considered the best (and that
Lee Valley has them on sale). Does anyone have personal experience
with the Rocklers?
Thanks in advance.

The BIG disadvantage to any clamp with an aluminum bar is that the bar
flexes and bends way too easily when applying pressure. This typically
leads to multiple assemblies popping out of the clamps.

Old January 7th 05, 02:09 AM
David Hall

How does the new line of Rocklers Sure Foot Bar Clamps

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product..._id=10819&obje

ctgroup_id=436&catid=54&filter=clamps
compare to the Bessey or Jorgensen equivalent.

One definite advantage that I see is the ability to extend the length
easily.

However I also know that the Besseys are considered the best (and that
Lee Valley has them on sale). Does anyone have personal experience
with the Rocklers?
Thanks in advance.

If you are asking to compare these aluminum bar clamps to a Bessey parrellel
clamp (which I believe are the ones on sale at Lee Valley), THERE IS NO
COMPARISION!!!!!!!!!!! The Besseys, as well as the Jorgenson's are far superior
to any simple bar clamp and even more to an aluminium shallow reach bar clamp
such as these. I do not see any advantage to these bar clamps and a pipe clamp.
In fact, these Sure Foot bar clamps look exactly like the Rockler Sure Foot
pipe clamps (except the obvious use of a pipe instead of the aluminum bar). If
you are looking for parallel clamps the Lee Valley sale seems pretty decent. If
you are looking for basic shallow reach bar clamps like these, get some HF 3/4"
pipe clamps and some black pipe. All just my opinion, obviously.

Dave Hall
Old January 7th 05, 02:46 AM
GregP

On 6 Jan 2005 11:11:04 -0800, "Vijay" wrote:

How does the new line of Rocklers Sure Foot Bar Clamps
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...&filter=clamps
compare to the Bessey or Jorgensen equivalent.

I would buy one only if I could check it first: I started to play
around with them in the local Rockler shop and had problems
cranking two out of the four that I tried: they felt like they were
binding. Perhaps they were from an unusually bad batch.
Old January 7th 05, 03:33 AM
Never Enough Money

A recent issue of Fine Woodworking had a clamp review.....I can't find
it right now or I'd give you the specific issue. It categorized the
clamps: pipe clamps, bar clamps, etc.