BUB 209

Default Home Depot Workbench

I needed a portable workbench for my jobsite, kind of in a hurry. It needed to
be portable but sturdy enough to mount a woodworking vice on, and storage
underneath was desirable, too, so that I could load up all my equipment and
wheel it to the overhead door and into the van for weekend jobs. There wasn't
enough time to make one and, what the hell, if the price was right,
it made more sense to buy, IF something could be found with all the right
features. The next day in Home Depot I saw it, as if I had designed it myself.
For a hundred dollars, you get a bench with a 1 1/2" thick laminated wood top
54" long and 18" wide, with big locking wheels. It also has two deep drawers
on
ball bearing slides and a couple of shelves. The cabinet is made of fairly
heavy steel, and it went together quickly because instead of nuts, there are
threaded lugs welded to the parts in the right spots. I made a tool tray a la
cabinetmaker's workbench, which sits on metal shelf brackets from the
hardware store, and I ordered a 10" woodworkers vice which I'm going to
mount on the front somehow. A very nice buy.

I don't see this online at homedepot.com - could you tell us the brand?
Thanks,

Kevin Craig

In article , BUB 209
wrote:

For a hundred dollars, you get a bench with a 1 1/2" thick laminated wood top
54" long and 18" wide, with big locking wheels.

I've looked at that one, but mostly just at the top, wondering if I
could get the top alone or laminate up one just like it.

Mass counts when it comes to woodworking benches. Wood absorbs
vibration, where steel transmits it and/or harmonizes it to make it
appear elsewhere.

If it meets your needs, then God bless. It wouldn't meet mine, not to
mention that it wouldn't fit in the garage, where SWMBO is already
casting a critical eye on everything that's intruding on her soon-to-be
at-home pet grooming business. (She's been a groomer for 12 years, and
is tired of working for anyone but herself, tired of paying child care,
and tired of missing many hours of Herr Toddler's formative years.)

Kevin
BUB 209

Sorry, I threw away the box. Maybe if you
go into the store...
BUB 209

Subject: Home Depot Workbench
From: "

I don't see this online at homedepot.com - could you tell us the brand?
Thanks,

It's odd that I posted the original about
this over a month ago and it's just now
showing up on my screen, but if you'd
at least like to see what it looks like,
go to
http://www.edswoods.com/appendix.html