Mark

Default Delta planer wont feed

Hello all,
Have an old delta 12" planer (all steel no plastic). Couldnt even begin
to tally how much lumber has been run throught his planer, it has worked
its buns off. Anyway, several months ago the planer began to have
trouble feeding material through. This could be 8/4, 4/4, wide, or
narrow stock, dry or green. The feed rolls were seeming to just skid. I
always keep the table waxed up but it would still require shoving, then
pulling, each board through. This has gotten worse and worse to where
each board would have to be almost entirely hand fed.

We tried cleaning the feed rolls several times, thin-x, acetone, etc.
They never seemed that dirty/gummed up. Finally I figured with the
thousands of feet that have probably gone through the planer that the
feed rolls must be shot/dried out/something? So I ordered a new set of
feed rolls ($110.00US). Installed them, exactly the same behavior.
Infact, the other day I tried to plane some 1' long pieces of 2x6 (KD
Spruce framing) and it wouldnt even pull them through.

What gives? Any input appreciated. Prior to buying the feed rolls I was
thinking of just buying a new planer thinking this one had paid for
itself over and over however I am always resisting becoming a part of
this disposable american society, plus I really like the fact that the
machine is solid metal rather than 80% plastic. Now that I have bought
the feed rolls I really want to keep the planer.

Thanks, from the guy who has changed the switch in his skill saws, and
other tools, several times rather than buying new ones,
Mark

Dave

Mark wrote:
Hello all,
What turns the feed rollers? is a belt slipping or a gear that is worn away and not bitting right? cleaning the rollers

might not help if what ever makes them turn is slipping. Good luck

[...]

I had one from the mid '90s, had a similar problem, and as I recall I
took it all apart and cleaned it, which you likely did already, and
then did the cutter head adjustment thing with the wooden jig they tell
you how to make in the instruction manual. The heads were too low
vis-a-vis the feed rollers. Worked for me. Good luck.

Mutt

Mark wrote:
[...]

Duane Bozarth

Mark wrote:

... an old delta 12" planer (all steel no plastic)... began to have
trouble feeding material through. ...

Probably the knives are worn to be above the pressure bar slightly...

First, sharpen the knives and reset. Then reset the pressure bar to
just above the bottom clearance of the knives...the manual should have
specific dimensions. If you don't have it, call the Delta technical
support 800 number and they'll send a xerox copy. If you're lucky you
may even be able to talk to a tech who'll tell you what you want to know
directly although that's less common than it used to be...

Don't know the 12" models, have (probably even older) Model 13...

George

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Mark wrote:

... an old delta 12" planer (all steel no plastic)... began to have
trouble feeding material through. ...

Probably the knives are worn to be above the pressure bar slightly...

Don't know the 12" models, have (probably even older) Model 13...

Sounds like you have iron, not a lunchbox type. They don't have the
chipbreaker/pressure bar setup like the iron ones.

Duane Bozarth

Mark wrote:

... an old delta 12" planer (all steel no plastic)... began to have
trouble feeding material through. ...

Probably the knives are worn to be above the pressure bar slightly...

Don't know the 12" models, have (probably even older) Model 13...

Sounds like you have iron, not a lunchbox type. They don't have the
chipbreaker/pressure bar setup like the iron ones.

OK, his description fooled me...I thought perhaps there was a 12" model
made similarly before the portables...ah, well...

And, yes, the Model 13 is iron (a lot of it)...weighs about 400 lb, I
think...