tillius

Default Delta 12" Portable Thickness Planer or 22" Shop Built Thickness Sander?

Lowes has the Delta 12" portable planer on sale for $179 + an
additional 20% off which brings the price to $143.20. SWMBO said I
could get one if I want, or I can spend the money on something else
(biscuit joiner).

I'm now trying to decide between the 12" portable planer and a shop
build thickness sander.

I don't need to resize wood, but what I need to do is resurface resawn
barn boards.

I was thinking the sander because of the risk of unfound metal in the
boards ruining planer blades. If I can only shave off 1/32 at the time
with the thickness sander, I should be able to catch any nails before
they damage the drum.

Anyway, opinions are solicited. But I must decide before Monday, since
the 20% off sale ends monday and I've either got to get the planer or
the biscuit joiner then.

Darrell Dorsey

I'm not sure which way you should go, i.e. planer vs. sander. But if you
decide to go planer, then I'd skip the Delta TP300 (old 22-540 I believe).
It doesn't have a lock mechanism. So you more apt to get a little snipe.
You'd like the DeWalt 734 much better. Or even the Delta 22-560, which they
don't sell I believe. Both these have blade lock and the DeWalt Machine has
a 4 column carriage lock and is a three knife cutter head. Although is
almost considerably higher price. With the 20% off, it wont be too bad.

Darrell

"tillius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lowes has the Delta 12" portable planer on sale for $179 + an
additional 20% off which brings the price to $143.20. SWMBO said I
could get one if I want, or I can spend the money on something else
(biscuit joiner).

I'm now trying to decide between the 12" portable planer and a shop
build thickness sander.

I don't need to resize wood, but what I need to do is resurface resawn
barn boards.

I was thinking the sander because of the risk of unfound metal in the
boards ruining planer blades. If I can only shave off 1/32 at the time
with the thickness sander, I should be able to catch any nails before
they damage the drum.

Anyway, opinions are solicited. But I must decide before Monday, since
the 20% off sale ends monday and I've either got to get the planer or
the biscuit joiner then.

C & S

"tillius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lowes has the Delta 12" portable planer on sale for $179 + an
additional 20% off which brings the price to $143.20. SWMBO said I
could get one if I want, or I can spend the money on something else
(biscuit joiner).

You really want to get a machine with a cutter head lock. I replaced my old
Delta because I was just loosing too much material to snipe. Invest a little
more and you will have a much more useful tool.

I'm now trying to decide between the 12" portable planer and a shop
build thickness sander.

I don't need to resize wood, but what I need to do is resurface resawn
barn boards.

But you might want to resize wood on another project after you get a planer.

I was thinking the sander because of the risk of unfound metal in the
boards ruining planer blades. If I can only shave off 1/32 at the time
with the thickness sander, I should be able to catch any nails before
they damage the drum.

yeahbutt... you will have destoyed the knives in by then. FWIW I find
reclaiming lumber to not be quite the economy that it appears. It's alot of
work to clean and de-nail boards and them you miss one and trash a blade ofr
a knife anyway DAMHIKT.

Just in case you think you might remove a finish from boards with a planer,
that will destroy knives too.

Anyway, opinions are solicited. But I must decide before Monday, since
the 20% off sale ends monday and I've either got to get the planer or
the biscuit joiner then.

I'm not saying "don't do it", just that the wood will likely end up being
less "free" than anticipated.

-Steve

loutent

I have used that Delta planer for about 10 years. It does produce
snipe at the end of each pass, but you can minimize it if
you are careful.

I would not buy the same planer again, but if I had a budget
of $150 needed something, you can't go too far wrong.

Why not invest in a metal detector along with the Delta?
This would save your blades.

Also, the planer will make quick work of the boards - much
faster (and cheaper than using a lot of sandpaper).

Lou

In article .com,
tillius wrote:

Lowes has the Delta 12" portable planer on sale for $179 + an
additional 20% off which brings the price to $143.20. SWMBO said I
could get one if I want, or I can spend the money on something else
(biscuit joiner).

I'm now trying to decide between the 12" portable planer and a shop
build thickness sander.

I don't need to resize wood, but what I need to do is resurface resawn
barn boards.

I was thinking the sander because of the risk of unfound metal in the
boards ruining planer blades. If I can only shave off 1/32 at the time
with the thickness sander, I should be able to catch any nails before
they damage the drum.

Anyway, opinions are solicited. But I must decide before Monday, since
the 20% off sale ends monday and I've either got to get the planer or
the biscuit joiner then.

GregP

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 07:38:27 -0500, "C & S"
wrote:

yeahbutt... you will have destoyed the knives in by then. FWIW I find
reclaiming lumber to not be quite the economy that it appears. It's alot of
work to clean and de-nail boards and them you miss one and trash a blade ofr
a knife anyway DAMHIKT.

What is DAMHIKT ? This ng is the first place I've seen it.
"Damn it ?"

firstjois

wrote:

yeahbutt... you will have destoyed the knives in by then. FWIW I
find reclaiming lumber to not be quite the economy that it appears.
It's alot of work to clean and de-nail boards and them you miss one
and trash a blade ofr a knife anyway DAMHIKT.

What is DAMHIKT ? This ng is the first place I've seen it.
"Damn it ?"

DAMHIKT (Don't Ask Me How I Know That).

Stephen M

Fillet of acronym has already been serverd, bnut if you want to learn how to
fish go he

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

-Steve

wrote:

yeahbutt... you will have destoyed the knives in by then. FWIW I
find reclaiming lumber to not be quite the economy that it appears.
It's alot of work to clean and de-nail boards and them you miss one
and trash a blade ofr a knife anyway DAMHIKT.

What is DAMHIKT ? This ng is the first place I've seen it.
"Damn it ?"

DAMHIKT (Don't Ask Me How I Know That).

GregP

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:33:04 -0500, "firstjois"
wrote:

What is DAMHIKT ? This ng is the first place I've seen it.
"Damn it ?"

DAMHIKT (Don't Ask Me How I Know That).

In other words, "damn it" :-)
J. Clarke

C & S wrote:

"tillius" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Please forgive a stupid question, but how does one damage the knives in a
_sander_?

FWIW I find
reclaiming lumber to not be quite the economy that it appears. It's alot
of work to clean and de-nail boards and them you miss one and trash a
blade ofr a knife anyway DAMHIKT.

Just in case you think you might remove a finish from boards with a
planer, that will destroy knives too.

Anyway, opinions are solicited. But I must decide before Monday, since
the 20% off sale ends monday and I've either got to get the planer or
the biscuit joiner then.

I'm not saying "don't do it", just that the wood will likely end up being
less "free" than anticipated.

Don't do it with a planer, don't do it with a sander, or don't do it at all?

-Steve

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
firstjois

wrote:

What is DAMHIKT ? This ng is the first place I've seen it.
"Damn it ?"

DAMHIKT (Don't Ask Me How I Know That).

In other words, "damn it" :-)

I thought it meant that "I don't want to tell you the mistake I had to make
to learn this, so don't ask" or "I've been told this (read this or seen
this) so many times I can't tell you when I first learned it."

Josie

I was thinking the sander because of the risk of unfound metal in the
boards ruining planer blades. If I can only shave off 1/32 at the time
with the thickness sander, I should be able to catch any nails before
they damage the drum.

yeahbutt... you will have destoyed the knives in by then.

Please forgive a stupid question, but how does one damage the knives in a
_sander_?

hee hee...
]
but nails *will* destroy the paper on your thickness sander.

DAMHIKT.

Anyway, opinions are solicited. But I must decide before Monday, since
the 20% off sale ends monday and I've either got to get the planer or
the biscuit joiner then.

lunchbox planers are handy tools. sounds like a can't refuse price. I
say get it.

I have both a lunchbox planer and a thickness sander. they do
different things. really, you *need* both....
C & S

I was thinking the sander because of the risk of unfound metal in the
boards ruining planer blades. If I can only shave off 1/32 at the time
with the thickness sander, I should be able to catch any nails before
they damage the drum.

yeahbutt... you will have destoyed the knives in by then.

Please forgive a stupid question, but how does one damage the knives in a
_sander_?

OK... I misread it

Don't do it with a planer, don't do it with a sander, or don't do it at

all?

Go ahead and do it either way. Grit sand finish nails... they are all hard
on abrasives or knives and saw blades. either a huge amount of time will be
spent removing foreign material or their will be significant expense in
blades etc.

I've done it. It was particularly nail and sand ridden stuff, but it was
special wood.

-Steve