buck

Default Will a Router Speed Control work with a Bench Grinder

I see where router speed controls sell in the $25-$50 range and supposedly
they will work with most routers that aren't soft start or already have
variable speed. My question is what is chance of this working with a $40 6
inch non-variable speed bench Home Depot Ryobi grinder.... I would like to
use this grinder to sharpen lathe chisels and I need a slower speed grinder
for this.
-TIA

Leon

Probably will not work "well" at all. The speed control's work on
universal motors vs. induction motors. More than likely the grinder has an
induction motor.

"buck" wrote in message
rvers.com...
I see where router speed controls sell in the $25-$50 range and supposedly
they will work with most routers that aren't soft start or already have
variable speed. My question is what is chance of this working with a $40
6
inch non-variable speed bench Home Depot Ryobi grinder.... I would like to
use this grinder to sharpen lathe chisels and I need a slower speed
grinder
for this.
-TIA

Doug Winterburn

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:53:59 -0700, buck wrote:

I see where router speed controls sell in the $25-$50 range and supposedly
they will work with most routers that aren't soft start or already have
variable speed. My question is what is chance of this working with a $40
6 inch non-variable speed bench Home Depot Ryobi grinder.... I would like
to use this grinder to sharpen lathe chisels and I need a slower speed
grinder for this.

They should work with any universal motor as long as the current rating
isn't exceeded. One problem you might encounter with a grinder is the
relatively slow start up speed compared to a router and the possibly
resulting high current draw. I used one with my old PowrKraft RAS which
had a univeral motor when I was using the high speed aux spindle for
shaper cutters.

-Doug

cm

Your grinder does not use a motor with brushes so the speed controller will
not work. There are many "High End" woodturners sharpening their chisels on
cheap high speed grinders without problems.

AZCRAIG

"buck" wrote in message
rvers.com...
I see where router speed controls sell in the $25-$50 range and supposedly
they will work with most routers that aren't soft start or already have
variable speed. My question is what is chance of this working with a $40
6
inch non-variable speed bench Home Depot Ryobi grinder.... I would like to
use this grinder to sharpen lathe chisels and I need a slower speed
grinder
for this.
-TIA

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:48:13 GMT, "cm"
wrote:

Your grinder does not use a motor with brushes so the speed controller will
not work. There are many "High End" woodturners sharpening their chisels on
cheap high speed grinders without problems.

AZCRAIG

The fastest way to improve the sharpening ability of a cheap grinder
is by replacing the wheels. Check out the Woodcraft, Lee Valley and
such catalogs and pick up a less aggressive grinding wheel. Less
honing to do afterwards as well.

You still need a very light touch and a can of water handy, but
changing the grinding wheel will cost less than the speed control and
probably give you better results.

--RC

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
I see where router speed controls sell in the $25-$50 range and supposedly
they will work with most routers that aren't soft start or already have
variable speed. My question is what is chance of this working with a $40
6
inch non-variable speed bench Home Depot Ryobi grinder.... I would like to
use this grinder to sharpen lathe chisels and I need a slower speed
grinder
for this.
-TIA

You can tell a really good idea by the enemies it makes

Sean Dinh

If it's loud like most vacuum cleaner, it has a universal motor.

AFAIK, I've not seen a grinder with an universal motor.

buck wrote:

AZCRAIG...... Does a Ryobi benchtop belt sander use a motor with brushes??

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:45:59 -0800, "TeamCasa"
wrote:

Buck, Who told you not to use water with HSS chisels?
When you need to sharpen them, you must keep them cool when grinding.
Frequent dips in a cup of water will prevent the chisel from overheating.
Water will not harm the chisel in any way.

Dave

to clarify: do not dip HSS in water when it is very hot. use a light
touch on the wheel and dip it frequently before it gets hot, to keep
it cool. if you do manage to get it hot enough to blue the edge, let
it air cool a bit before dipping it.
Lawrence Wasserman

In article s.com,
buck wrote:
I see where router speed controls sell in the $25-$50 range and supposedly
they will work with most routers that aren't soft start or already have
variable speed. My question is what is chance of this working with a $40 6
inch non-variable speed bench Home Depot Ryobi grinder.... I would like to
use this grinder to sharpen lathe chisels and I need a slower speed grinder
for this.
-TIA

They won't work with an induction motor, which most grinders have.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:27:00 -0800, Sean Dinh
wrote:

AFAIK, I've not seen a grinder with an universal motor.

For the same power, induction motors are cheaper. For the same
torque, or at slow speeds, brush motors are cheaper. So something
like a grinder or DC that needs minimal torque will generally be
induction.
--
Smert' spamionam
buck

Dave.... Seeing that I am not an expert in this area I have read lots of
different articles on the web, many of which say there is no need to use
water with HSS chisels. Most of them say to just let them air cool and not
shock them with water when they get hot...... I don't know if this is true
or not but a lot of experienced turners say it is true. I suppose if you
use water right from the start your chisel will never get hot enough to
damage it.
-Differnt strokes for different.......... me guesses

wrote:

Buck, Who told you not to use water with HSS chisels?
When you need to sharpen them, you must keep them cool when grinding.
Frequent dips in a cup of water will prevent the chisel from overheating.
Water will not harm the chisel in any way.

Dave

to clarify: do not dip HSS in water when it is very hot. use a light
touch on the wheel and dip it frequently before it gets hot, to keep
it cool. if you do manage to get it hot enough to blue the edge, let
it air cool a bit before dipping it.

Bruce

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:06:07 -0700, Andy Dingley wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

AFAIK, I've not seen a grinder with an universal motor.

For the same power, induction motors are cheaper. For the same
torque, or at slow speeds, brush motors are cheaper. So something
like a grinder or DC that needs minimal torque will generally be
induction.

Also, for a given power Induction is bigger and universal is smaller.
Not many hand held tools will use an induction motor.
-Bruce

TeamCasa

I guess I was not clear enough when I said "you must keep them cool when
grinding". That is the precise reason machine shops run coolant
continuously when cutting. Since most of us do not have that capability,
frequent dips will have to do.

As for fixing the inevitable bluing, a dip in cold water then carefully
grinding off of the entire blue area will not change the hardness or temper
of HSS.

Dave

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 06:52 AM
Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1 Greg G. Woodworking 37 January 8th 04 03:37 AM
Router Speed Control Problem Geo Woodworking 5 November 22nd 03 08:32 PM
Kelton Balancer Review Draft--long Lyn J. Mangiameli Woodturning 0 October 29th 03 04:44 AM