John Moorhead

Default 'nuther Electric wiring query

Folks -

I'm back... Now it's a wiring question. I'd like to run a string of outlets
at benchtop height, and run two circuits. I'll put a pair of outlets in
each box, 1 on each circuit. Can I safely run 12/3 for a pair of 20 amp
circuits using a common neutral (white) and ground? I'd run the red wire
(marked black) to one outlet and the black to the other. The two outlets
would share the white wire, along with the grounds.

At the panel, I'd have the red (marked black) wire going to one CB and the
black one to a separate CB. If I can do this, I'd have to string way less
NM... Would this be a violation of code? Is this safe?

I know, I know... call an electrician or an EE... I'm just trying to get a
little help here....

Thanks in advance!

John Moorhead

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:56:53 GMT, John Moorhead
wrote:
Folks -

I'm back... Now it's a wiring question. I'd like to run a string of outlets
at benchtop height, and run two circuits. I'll put a pair of outlets in
each box, 1 on each circuit. Can I safely run 12/3 for a pair of 20 amp
circuits using a common neutral (white) and ground? I'd run the red wire
(marked black) to one outlet and the black to the other. The two outlets
would share the white wire, along with the grounds.

At the panel, I'd have the red (marked black) wire going to one CB and the
black one to a separate CB. If I can do this, I'd have to string way less
NM... Would this be a violation of code? Is this safe?

I know, I know... call an electrician or an EE... I'm just trying to get a
little help here....

Are you Canadian? Something similar to that--perhaps exactly--is
standard for kitchens in Canada. I think they may require seperate
jackets, but perhaps not.

I don't think it meets code in the US. At the very least, I've never
seen it recommended for US practice.

Why not just alternate curcuits?

John Moorhead

Nope - I'm in Northern California... Well, I *do* want alternate
circuits... The reason for using a single run of 12/3 is that I wouldn't
have to run an additional separate length of wire - everything would be in
the one cable. Sorry if my post didn't make that clear...

John

Are you Canadian? Something similar to that--perhaps exactly--is
standard for kitchens in Canada. I think they may require seperate
jackets, but perhaps not.

I don't think it meets code in the US. At the very least, I've never
seen it recommended for US practice.

Why not just alternate curcuits?

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:35:51 GMT, John Moorhead
wrote:
Nope - I'm in Northern California... Well, I *do* want alternate
circuits... The reason for using a single run of 12/3 is that I wouldn't
have to run an additional separate length of wire - everything would be in
the one cable. Sorry if my post didn't make that clear...

John

I'm reasonably certain that's not allowed in the US.

In any case, the lone neutral lacks the capacity for both circuits.
Also if it's in a garage, the GFCI will sense the imbalanced current and
trip.

Swingman

"John Moorhead" wrote in message

I'm back... Now it's a wiring question. I'd like to run a string of

outlets
at benchtop height, and run two circuits. I'll put a pair of outlets in
each box, 1 on each circuit. Can I safely run 12/3 for a pair of 20 amp
circuits using a common neutral (white) and ground? I'd run the red wire
(marked black) to one outlet and the black to the other. The two outlets
would share the white wire, along with the grounds.

At the panel, I'd have the red (marked black) wire going to one CB and the
black one to a separate CB. If I can do this, I'd have to string way less
NM... Would this be a violation of code? Is this safe?

I know, I know... call an electrician or an EE... I'm just trying to get

little help here....

What you are looking at is a "split circuit" receptacle. It's been perfectly
legal in a number of locale's, but I am not sure what the latest NEC says
about it.

Two caveats that are generally required to do it:

1. You must cut or remove the metal bridge on the duplex receptacles

2. It is generally required that you must use two, two pole circuit brkr's,
with the two circuit brkr's "tied" together so that if one trips, they both
trip.

In any event, the terminology you want to use with your building inspection
department is "split circuit receptacle".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Swingman

"Swingman" wrote in message

1. You must cut or remove the metal bridge on the duplex receptacles

Sorry, I left out the word "hot": That should read "cut or remove the metal
bridge on the HOT side".

The neutral wire metal bridge in the receptable remains intact.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Mike Marlow

wrote:
Nope - I'm in Northern California... Well, I *do* want alternate
circuits... The reason for using a single run of 12/3 is that I

wouldn't
have to run an additional separate length of wire - everything would be

in
the one cable. Sorry if my post didn't make that clear...

John

I'm reasonably certain that's not allowed in the US.

Seems to me that shared neutrals are allowed under some circumstances, but I
can't recall if you have to downgrade the cirucuit when doing so. Wait for
some of the electricians to weigh in on this one.

In any case, the lone neutral lacks the capacity for both circuits.
Also if it's in a garage, the GFCI will sense the imbalanced current and
trip.

I don't see how this would happen. The potential between neutral and ground
are the same as if you had run a separate neutral.

--

-Mike-

john

It is simply a multiwire circuit. As long as you use a 240v breaker for
the two circuits, it fine; maybe.

If you need a GFCI, such as in a garage or a finished basement, you will
have problems. They have 240v GFCIs, but I have never used one and don't
know if they work on multiwire circuits or not.

LRod

wrote:

Folks -

I'm back... Now it's a wiring question. I'd like to run a string of outlets
at benchtop height, and run two circuits. I'll put a pair of outlets in
each box, 1 on each circuit. Can I safely run 12/3 for a pair of 20 amp
circuits using a common neutral (white) and ground? I'd run the red wire
(marked black) to one outlet and the black to the other. The two outlets
would share the white wire, along with the grounds.

At the panel, I'd have the red (marked black) wire going to one CB and the
black one to a separate CB. If I can do this, I'd have to string way less
NM... Would this be a violation of code? Is this safe?

So far the answers you've gotten are either wrong or way wrong.

Shared neutral is certainly legal in the U.S. For those pontificating
on how it's allegedly unsafe, the two hots MUST be fed from a duplex
breaker, which does two things: it ensures that both feeds are on
opposite buses which means that the neutral currents for each branch
are 180° out of phase and thus subtractive, and it ensures that when
the breaker is tripped (intentionally or otherwise) there are no hot
leads in a box with two separate branches in it.

So the short answer is, yes, you can do that.

The long answer is I don't like shared neutral circuits and avoid them
like the plague. Call it personal prejudice but you have to make sure
you have a continuous neutral (all pigtails to the receptacles) so
that you don't wind up with 240V across the devices if the neutral is
lost.

Wire is relatively cheap. No matter how big your shop (well, up to a
reasonable size, anyway), you'd be hard pressed to add $100 to the
bill by wiring two completely separate circuits. Of course if you do
it that way I wouldn't recommend putting receptacles fed by two
different circuits in the same box. Same issue as with the shared
neutral circuit if a duplex breaker weren't used.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Mike Marlow

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

Look at it again Swingman - he doesn't want to split an outlet, he wants two
duplexes together in a double box that have their own hots, but share a
neutral and a ground.
--

-Mike-

Bob

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
news
Folks -
I'm back... Now it's a wiring question. I'd like to run a string of

outlets
at benchtop height, and run two circuits. I'll put a pair of outlets in
each box, 1 on each circuit. Can I safely run 12/3 for a pair of 20 amp
circuits using a common neutral (white) and ground?

No.

The neutral is a current carrying wire in a single phase circuit. You
should run 12/3 for each circuit. I think you may be trying to be too
symmetrical and neat by putting two branch circuits in the same box. It
also crowds the box and makes connections more difficult. But I'm assuming
that you are placing outlets at some reasonable spacing for a shop (Lots of
'em).

Its only an opinion, but my philosophy is to use multiple outlets for
connectivity, as opposed to load carrying capability. My shop has three
heavily interactive walls (bench and portable tool areas). I put one branch
ciruit in each area and populated it with an embarrassingly high number of
outlets. I also ran one 220 ciruit to each area with 3 outlets each.

Bob

Frank Ketchum

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
news
Folks -

I'm back... Now it's a wiring question. I'd like to run a string of
outlets at benchtop height, and run two circuits. I'll put a pair of
outlets in each box, 1 on each circuit. Can I safely run 12/3 for a pair
of 20 amp circuits using a common neutral (white) and ground? I'd run the
red wire (marked black) to one outlet and the black to the other. The two
outlets would share the white wire, along with the grounds.

I do not believe this is allowed by the NEC. If you think about it, each of
the two hots will be on 20 amp breakers and will be current limited to 20
amps. The neutral will have to carry the sum of the two circuits, or
potentially 40 amps back to the panel. 12 AWG wire is not rated for 40
amps! You may be allowed to do this if you derate the circuit, but I doubt
you will want to do this.

Frank

Doug Winterburn

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:56:53 +0000, John Moorhead wrote:

Folks -

I'm back... Now it's a wiring question. I'd like to run a string of
outlets at benchtop height, and run two circuits. I'll put a pair of
outlets in each box, 1 on each circuit. Can I safely run 12/3 for a pair
of 20 amp circuits using a common neutral (white) and ground? I'd run the
red wire (marked black) to one outlet and the black to the other. The two
outlets would share the white wire, along with the grounds.

At the panel, I'd have the red (marked black) wire going to one CB and the
black one to a separate CB. If I can do this, I'd have to string way less
NM... Would this be a violation of code? Is this safe?

I know, I know... call an electrician or an EE... I'm just trying to get
a little help here....

The answer is "yes". Run 12-3 with ground as you said, but use a ganged
breaker since if you need to work inside any box, you want both circuits
shut off. This is exactly what the electrician did for my gar^H^H^Hshop.
All the left hand duplex outlets in each double box are on one circuit,
and all the right handers on the other. The 'trician used surface mount
boxes and conduit with individual wires rather than romex on mine and ran
a seperate ground even though the conduit can be used for ground. I also
had him run 2 240V circuits through another single conduit with every
other box containing a single 240V outlet and alternating between circuits.

Make sure you have the bottoms of the outlets at least 40" above the floor
so you can put standard 36" high benches under.

-Doug
Bob

"john" wrote in message
It is simply a multiwire circuit. As long as you use a 240v breaker for
the two circuits, it fine; maybe.

I disagree. You are allowing 40 amps (2 * 20) across a single conductor (the
neutral) by sharing it with two single phase 20 amp circuits.

Bob

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
John Moorhead wrote:
Folks -

I'm back... Now it's a wiring question. I'd like to run a string of outlets
at benchtop height, and run two circuits. I'll put a pair of outlets in
each box, 1 on each circuit. Can I safely run 12/3 for a pair of 20 amp
circuits using a common neutral (white) and ground? I'd run the red wire
(marked black) to one outlet and the black to the other. The two outlets
would share the white wire, along with the grounds.

At the panel, I'd have the red (marked black) wire going to one CB and the
black one to a separate CB. If I can do this, I'd have to string way less
NM... Would this be a violation of code? Is this safe?

I know, I know... call an electrician or an EE... I'm just trying to get a
little help here....

First question: *WHERE* are you? Code _does_ vary, by locale, on whether
things like this are allowed.

Comment: this 'two hot, one neutral' wiring is called an 'Edison circuit'.
*IS* generally allowed, _as_long_as_ you make sure that the two hot wires
go to *different* phases of the main supply.

You do -not- need to 'tag' the red wire as black, btw. anything _other_
_than_ one of the 'reserved' colors (white, green, bare) is presumed to
be a 'hot' lead.

I would *NOT* recommend running "12/3" wire. Pull _individual_ wires --
even when pulled at the same time, they go around corners *easier* than
the multi-wire cable. You'll likely find that the individual wires are
less expensive than the multi-wire cable, too.

Doug Winterburn

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 11:53:33 -0700, Doug Winterburn wrote:

The answer is "yes". Run 12-3 with ground as you said, but use a ganged
breaker since if you need to work inside any box, you want both circuits
shut off. This is exactly what the electrician did for my gar^H^H^Hshop.
All the left hand duplex outlets in each double box are on one circuit,
and all the right handers on the other. The 'trician used surface mount
boxes and conduit with individual wires rather than romex on mine and ran
a seperate ground even though the conduit can be used for ground. I also
had him run 2 240V circuits through another single conduit with every
other box containing a single 240V outlet and alternating between
circuits.

Also, make sure the ganged breaker is mounted like a 240V breaker with
each half on a different phase so your neutral will never carry more than
the load for the biggest drawing circuit.

-Doug
Doug Winterburn

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 18:53:58 +0000, Bob wrote:

"john" wrote in message
It is simply a multiwire circuit. As long as you use a 240v breaker for
the two circuits, it fine; maybe.

I disagree. You are allowing 40 amps (2 * 20) across a single conductor
(the neutral) by sharing it with two single phase 20 amp circuits.

I disagree. As long as each breaker is on the opposite hot as in any
240V circuit, the total neutral load will never exceed the current draw of
the largest circuit load. If each circuit was drawing an equal load, the
neutral load would be zero.

-Doug
Swingman

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Look at it again Swingman - he doesn't want to split an outlet, he wants

two
duplexes together in a double box that have their own hots, but share a
neutral and a ground.

Granted he is using layman's terminology, but are you sure that's what he
meant? ... cuz it damn sure ain't what he said:

I'll put a pair of outlets in each box, 1 on each circuit.

A single is one outlet, a "pair", or duplex, is two outlets in the same box.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Swingman

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message

The answer is "yes". Run 12-3 with ground as you said, but use a ganged
breaker since if you need to work inside any box, you want both circuits
shut off. This is exactly what the electrician did for my gar^H^H^Hshop.
All the left hand duplex outlets in each double box are on one circuit,
and all the right handers on the other. The 'trician used surface mount
boxes and conduit with individual wires rather than romex on mine and ran
a seperate ground even though the conduit can be used for ground. I also
had him run 2 240V circuits through another single conduit with every
other box containing a single 240V outlet and alternating between

circuits.

Make sure you have the bottoms of the outlets at least 40" above the floor
so you can put standard 36" high benches under.

You left out an important step ... on most duplex receptacles you MUST
remove, or cut, the HOT bridge between the two outlets if you are going to
split a circuit.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Robert Bonomi

wrote:
Nope - I'm in Northern California... Well, I *do* want alternate
circuits... The reason for using a single run of 12/3 is that I wouldn't
have to run an additional separate length of wire - everything would be in
the one cable. Sorry if my post didn't make that clear...

John

I'm reasonably certain that's not allowed in the US.

This wiring method, the so-called "Edison circuit', *is* allowed in at
least some parts of the U.S. No problem with it, anywhere in the greater
metro Chicago area, for example. I recently re-wired my kitchen, in this
-precise- manner, and the city electrical inspector had no problem with
it. He actually wondered 'why so *many* _neutral_ wires?' -- 'cuz I had
outlets on opposite sides of the breaker panel on the _same_ breaker. The
two hot leads were spliced together in a junction box just before the panel
(no splices allowed _in_ the breaker box), but both neutrals ran straight
through to the bar in the breaker box. Simpler than running wire to the
left-side outlet, and then _back_, and over to the right-side outlet.
'Unconventional', but sound engineering, _and_ code-compliant. grin

In any case, the lone neutral lacks the capacity for both circuits.

Bzzzzt!

As long as the two hot legs are on opposite phases of the 240V feed,
the neutral carries only the _difference_ in the two loads. 'Best
case' is that there is -zero- current in the neutral; 'worst case' is
that there is current in the neutral that is the same as -one- of the
hot legs (where the other hot is supporting -zero- load at that time)

Also if it's in a garage, the GFCI will sense the imbalanced current and
trip.

If you use GFCI _outlets_, then there is *no* problem. Speaking from
direct experience here.

To use 'downstream' outlets from a GFCI outlet, you *do* have to have
a 'unique' hot, _and_ a 'unique' neutral, from the GFCI device to the
downstream outlets. You cannot share _that_ wiring across GFCIs.

I'm *not* sure about GFCI _breakers_, having never actually _used_ those
devices. I would _suspect_, however, that they work in the same
manner -- that you can't 'share' the neutral downstream of a GFCI breaker.
"Read the directions" is indicated. grin

Mike Marlow

"Swingman" wrote in message

Granted he is using layman's terminology, but are you sure that's what he
meant? ... cuz it damn sure ain't what he said:

I'll put a pair of outlets in each box, 1 on each circuit.

A single is one outlet, a "pair", or duplex, is two outlets in the same

box.

I think you're reading into what he wrote. Maybe it's just the way I see
it, but I interpreted what he wrote to mean two of something. Not as in a
standard duplex, but as in two separate devices - whether they are single
outlet or duplex.
--

-Mike-

Al Reid

"john" wrote in message
It is simply a multiwire circuit. As long as you use a 240v breaker for
the two circuits, it fine; maybe.

I disagree. You are allowing 40 amps (2 * 20) across a single conductor
(the neutral) by sharing it with two single phase 20 amp circuits.

I disagree. As long as each breaker is on the opposite hot as in any
240V circuit, the total neutral load will never exceed the current draw of
the largest circuit load. If each circuit was drawing an equal load, the
neutral load would be zero.

-Doug

Your analysis is absolutely correct.
--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...
If I don't know where I'm going?

Swingman

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
.net...

"Swingman" wrote in message

Granted he is using layman's terminology, but are you sure that's what

he
meant? ... cuz it damn sure ain't what he said:

I'll put a pair of outlets in each box, 1 on each circuit.

A single is one outlet, a "pair", or duplex, is two outlets in the same

box.

I think you're reading into what he wrote. Maybe it's just the way I see
it, but I interpreted what he wrote to mean two of something. Not as in a
standard duplex, but as in two separate devices - whether they are single
outlet or duplex.

I will agree that you can take it either way, Mike.

However, it makes no difference... what I said in my original post will
still work as a "split circuit" whether the box is a duplex, fourplex,
separate boxes four feet apart, or even a single outlet at the end of the
run.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Doug Miller

In article , "John Moorhead" wrote:
Folks -

I'm back... Now it's a wiring question. I'd like to run a string of outlets
at benchtop height, and run two circuits. I'll put a pair of outlets in
each box, 1 on each circuit. Can I safely run 12/3 for a pair of 20 amp
circuits using a common neutral (white) and ground? I'd run the red wire
(marked black) to one outlet and the black to the other. The two outlets
would share the white wire, along with the grounds.

At the panel, I'd have the red (marked black) wire going to one CB and the
black one to a separate CB. If I can do this, I'd have to string way less
NM... Would this be a violation of code? Is this safe?

It is perfectly safe, and does not violate code, as long as:
a) the two hot conductors are on opposite legs of a 240V service, *and*
b) a *single* disconnecting means will disconnect *both* of them at once.
Both of these criteria are easily satisfied by using a standard two-pole
breaker: the two sides are necessarily on opposite legs, and one handle
disconnects them both at once.

It's not necessary to mark the red wire black, as red wires are assumed to be
hot anyway. The conductor color requirements in the code are pretty simple:
Ground: bare, green, or green with a yellow tracer
Neutral: white or gray
Hot: Anything else.

I know, I know... call an electrician or an EE... I'm just trying to get a

little help here....

You're fine.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , "Swingman" wrote:
[...]

Not if he's using two duplex receptacles in each box, as it appears he
intends. And even if he's using one duplex receptacle per box, with each half
on a different phase, he still needs to remove the bridge *only* on the hot
side.

2. It is generally required that you must use two, two pole circuit brkr's,
with the two circuit brkr's "tied" together so that if one trips, they both
trip.

Ummm.... no. That would be *one* two-pole circuit breaker.

In any event, the terminology you want to use with your building inspection
department is "split circuit receptacle".

Not necessarily. That's one duplex receptacle, with each half on a different
leg. It sounded to me like he intended each box to have two duplex
receptacles, with each duplex on a different leg.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , "Bob" wrote:

"john" wrote in message
It is simply a multiwire circuit. As long as you use a 240v breaker for
the two circuits, it fine; maybe.

I disagree. You are allowing 40 amps (2 * 20) across a single conductor (the
neutral) by sharing it with two single phase 20 amp circuits.

Nope, not if the two hot conductors are on opposite legs of the 240V service
(which is the only way to meet code). In that case, the current in the neutral
is the *difference* of the two hot currents, not the sum.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article . net, "Frank Ketchum" wrote:

[...]

Geez. Here we go again.

Yes, it is allowed by the NEC, as long as the two hot conductors are on
opposite legs of the 240V service, and a single disconnect, disconnects them
both. This is easily implemented by using a single double-pole breaker. With
the two hots on opposite legs, the current in the neutral is the *difference*
of the currents in the individual hot conductors, *not* the sum, and thus can
never exceed 20 amps. There just isn't a problem with doing this.

--
Regards,

Swingman

"John Moorhead" wrote in message

at benchtop height, and run two circuits. I'll put a pair of outlets in
each box, 1 on each circuit.

To get a precise answer, it is important that you clarify this. Do you want
to be able to plug in two, or four, plugs in the box?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Bob

"john" wrote in message
It is simply a multiwire circuit. As long as you use a 240v breaker

for
the two circuits, it fine; maybe.

I disagree. You are allowing 40 amps (2 * 20) across a single conductor
(the neutral) by sharing it with two single phase 20 amp circuits.

I disagree. As long as each breaker is on the opposite hot as in any
240V circuit, the total neutral load will never exceed the current draw of
the largest circuit load. If each circuit was drawing an equal load, the
neutral load would be zero.

You are correct. My statement only applies if both branches come off the
same leg.

Bob

Bob

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...

It is perfectly safe, and does not violate code, as long as:
a) the two hot conductors are on opposite legs of a 240V service, *and*
b) a *single* disconnecting means will disconnect *both* of them at once.
Both of these criteria are easily satisfied by using a standard two-pole
breaker: the two sides are necessarily on opposite legs, and one handle
disconnects them both at once.

Doug, you seem to know what you are talking about. What's your experience
with how often this is actually done? It seems to me that, though legal and
safe, someone might forget how this is setup and rearrange breakers/wiring
in the future, creating an unsafe situation. Are there any requirements for
tagging such a configuration?

Bob

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

wrote:

[...]

I didn't assert "Unsafe" but rather "I'd heard it was Canadian practice
but never heard of it being done in the States."

I've certainly never seen it here in NJ.

OTOH, a duplex breaker will certainly be safe, so there you (or he)
goes.

Swingman

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

Not if he's using two duplex receptacles in each box, as it appears he
intends. And even if he's using one duplex receptacle per box, with each

half
on a different phase, he still needs to remove the bridge *only* on the

hot
side.

If you had looked, you would have seen that an immediate post clearly
indicated I had inadvertently left out the word "hot".

In any event, the terminology you want to use with your building

inspection
department is "split circuit receptacle".

Not necessarily. That's one duplex receptacle, with each half on a

different
leg. It sounded to me like he intended each box to have two duplex
receptacles, with each duplex on a different leg.

I seem to be in the minority, but I am still not certain as to whether that
is exactly what he meant?

Nonetheless, around here it is still referred to as a "split circuit"
whether it be in a duplex or fourplex box, or a series of same.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

_firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us

wrote:

Folks -

I'm back... Now it's a wiring question. I'd like to run a string of outlets
at benchtop height, and run two circuits. I'll put a pair of outlets in
each box, 1 on each circuit. Can I safely run 12/3 for a pair of 20 amp
circuits using a common neutral (white) and ground? I'd run the red wire
(marked black) to one outlet and the black to the other. The two outlets
would share the white wire, along with the grounds.

At the panel, I'd have the red (marked black) wire going to one CB and the
black one to a separate CB. If I can do this, I'd have to string way less
NM... Would this be a violation of code? Is this safe?

So far the answers you've gotten are either wrong or way wrong.

Agree. Even after this excellent post, a whole stream of wrong
answers kept coming. Fortunately, there were also a few right answers.

Rule #1: DO NOT TRUST SOME RANDOM POSTER ON USENET. For all you know,
we might be all homicidal maniacs. Furthermore, not all localities
use just the NEC, some have additional electric codes. Call either
the building inspector in your locality, or talk to a real
(experienced and licensed) electrician in your area.

That having been said ...

Shared neutral is certainly legal in the U.S. For those pontificating
on how it's allegedly unsafe, the two hots MUST be fed from a duplex
breaker, which does two things: it ensures that both feeds are on
opposite buses which means that the neutral currents for each branch
are 180° out of phase and thus subtractive, and it ensures that when
the breaker is tripped (intentionally or otherwise) there are no hot
leads in a box with two separate branches in it.

Completely agree. More discussion of GFCI below, though.

The long answer is I don't like shared neutral circuits and avoid them
like the plague. Call it personal prejudice but you have to make sure
you have a continuous neutral (all pigtails to the receptacles) so
that you don't wind up with 240V across the devices if the neutral is
lost.

Partially agree, partially disagree. Agree: If you use them to feed
the two halves of a duplex receptacle, I think they are dangerous.
Because (a) there are 240V across components that are physically very
close together, and (b) all you need is one wire to come loose, and
you have 240V across the load.

On the other hand, if you use them to feed separate receptacles, I
think they are acceptable - they end up being a way to save wire and
time (it is easier to string one 12-3 than to string two 12-2 next to
each other). Just use extra care in wiring the neutrals (*) together,
to make sure they don't come undone.

Even better: They make raceways with built-in outlets (wiremold is a
popular brand). This stuff looks like a metal tray, about 1" square,
and it has an outlet ever few inches or every foot. This is ideal for
feeding power at counter height in a shop. And you can get it
pre-wired for two circuits: One neutral conductor, one ground
conductor, and two hot conductors. This makes a perfect match to an
edison- or multiwire circuit with a dual-pole 20A breaker: With very
little work, you have two 20A circuits everywhere in your shop, and
you'll never run out of outlets. This type of multioutlet assembly
(technical term for the wiremold stuff) has to be fed from an edison-
or multiwire circuit. This is what I have installed in my basement
shop.

The only real problem is how to add GFCIs. One option is to use two
(or more) individual GFCI outlets at the endpoint of the edison
circuit. The problem is: if you want to add the "load" connection of
the GFCI outlet, you must never merge the neutrals back together. So
behind the GFCI, the circuit is no longer an edison- or
multiwire-circuit. If you want to use multi-outlet assemblies (like
the wiremold stuff), or a split duplex receptacle (one outlet on each
of the circuits), there is no simple way to add GFCIs. You can't just
put two GFCIs next to each other, and feed through them, because
merging the two neutrals back together is a no-no (not just illegal,
it will just plain not work). In this case, you have to use stronger
medicine: A 2-pole 240V GFCI 20A breaker in the panel. Those exist,
but they are very rarely used, and therefore pretty hard to find (the
borg doesn't stock them). The real bad news is the cost: I paid a
little over $100 for the GFCI breaker. So if you need GFCI protection
(basement, garage, outdoors, etc.), this negates any potential cost
saving.

(*) The term "neutral" is not used in the code for 240V circuits, or
edison- or multi-wire circuits. Instead, it is called the "grounded
conductor" (a.k.a. the white wire). Don't confuse that with the
"grounding conductor" (a.k.a. the green wire). The colloquial term
"neutral" is much clearer, and in common use. Unfortunately, to
further confuse the issue, the code uses the term "neutral" for
certain cases of three-phase circuits.

--
The address in the header is invalid for obvious reasons. Please
reconstruct the address from the information below (look for _).
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Bob wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...

It is perfectly safe, and does not violate code, as long as:
a) the two hot conductors are on opposite legs of a 240V service, *and*
b) a *single* disconnecting means will disconnect *both* of them at once.
Both of these criteria are easily satisfied by using a standard two-pole
breaker: the two sides are necessarily on opposite legs, and one handle
disconnects them both at once.

Doug, you seem to know what you are talking about. What's your experience
with how often this is actually done? It seems to me that, though legal and
safe, someone might forget how this is setup and rearrange breakers/wiring
in the future, creating an unsafe situation. Are there any requirements for
tagging such a configuration?

'Standard practice' is to run _different_ colors of 'hot' wire. With
all the wiring on a given phase being the same color. I use different
colors for each hot phase, _and_ unique colors for any 'switched' hot
leads. If I have 3 switched leads in the same place, they'll be three
different colors -- e.g. 'yellow', 'pink', 'blue'. With this kind of
set-up, if you find a 'non-red/black' - neutral pair, you *know* you can't
_trust_ that the *circuit* is dead, just because there's no power across
the pair. Gotta find the switch (or switches!!) first. and check _there_.

Any competent electrician, does any breaker 're-arranging' only _within_ a
single color. Or *thoroughly* investigates the details, and then 'marks'
*both*ends* of any wires that get 'moved' to a different phase. *AFTER*
having made sure that neutral load currents are _not_ exceeded.

This is practically 'no-brainer' stuff for a professional. The amateur
that doesn't understand stuff at this level, should *not* be messing in
the panel. grin

This is also why =many= communities have a 'basic wiring' test that you
have to pass, _as_a_homeowner_, before you can get a permit for 'do it
yourself' work. These exams are _not_ difficult -- their primary purpose
is to ensure that you know enough to not to anything 'dangerously stupid'
in _residential_ wiring.

Scott Lurndal

"John Moorhead" writes:
Nope - I'm in Northern California... Well, I *do* want alternate
circuits... The reason for using a single run of 12/3 is that I wouldn't
have to run an additional separate length of wire - everything would be in
the one cable. Sorry if my post didn't make that clear...

What you want to do is legal and safe only so long as each of
the two circuits are a different phase (i.e. a different leg of
the 220v). It is also considered wise to handle-tie both
breakers (or use a 220v breaker) so that you cannot have a
situation where one conductor is live and the other isnt.

If the current carrying conductors are on different phases the current
in the grounded conductor approaches zero. If they are on the same
phase, the current in the grounded conductor will be the sum of the
current in each of the current carrying conductors. This would be
considered bad (e.g. 40 Amperes through a AWG 12 conductor).

scott
Doug Miller

In article , "Bob" wrote:

You are correct. My statement only applies if both branches come off the
same leg.

Which is, of course, exactly the reason that code prohibits doing that way.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , "Bob" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...

It is perfectly safe, and does not violate code, as long as:
a) the two hot conductors are on opposite legs of a 240V service, *and*
b) a *single* disconnecting means will disconnect *both* of them at once.
Both of these criteria are easily satisfied by using a standard two-pole
breaker: the two sides are necessarily on opposite legs, and one handle
disconnects them both at once.

Doug, you seem to know what you are talking about. What's your experience
with how often this is actually done? It seems to me that, though legal and
safe, someone might forget how this is setup and rearrange breakers/wiring
in the future, creating an unsafe situation. Are there any requirements for
tagging such a configuration?

It seems to me that it's a pretty common thing. There are no requirements for
tagging it that I'm aware of, but if it's wired properly (double-pole breaker,
and 12/3 wire, with red and black hot wires) the installation itself should be
sufficient to identify it as what it is -- and with a double-pole breaker,
it's impossible to break it up by rearranging the breakers.

--
Regards,

patriarch

"John Moorhead" wrote in
. com:

Nope - I'm in Northern California... Well, I *do* want alternate
circuits... The reason for using a single run of 12/3 is that I
wouldn't have to run an additional separate length of wire -
everything would be in the one cable. Sorry if my post didn't make
that clear...

Wire's cheap. Don't skimp.

Patriarch