Adam Diehl

Default Thanks for all the suggestions! Also, another question or two (wasMortiser vs. Drill Press)

Hey group,

Thanks for all the great suggestions on my mortiser vs. drill press
quandry. After much consideration, I've decided to go with the drill
press, forget the mortising attachment and buy a good set of forstner
bits and a good set of bench chisels. After thinking about it, I like
the idea of doing a bit more of the work by hand, although I don't think
I'm quite ready for neandering. Also, I got to thinking on all the
recessed bolt holes I'll need for the various jigs I plan on building
for my table saw... anyways, I am also wondering what recomendations
you all have on chisels. I've been eyeing a six-piece set by two
cherries, but the price may be prohibitive. I'm sure I could use them
for the rest of my life and leave them to my grandkids to boot, but I
wonder if I would be just as happy with something more reasonably
priced. Your suggestions on the matter would be very much appreciated!
Also, while I'm at it, I might as well get your thoughts on which
forstner bits I should be looking at. Thanks in advance for your
suggestions!

Regards,
Adam Diehl
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:01:37 -0500, Adam Diehl
wrote:

I've been eyeing a six-piece set by two
cherries, but the price may be prohibitive.

IMHO, Two Cherries have gone downhill in the last few years. They're
now judging them by how shiny they are, not how well made. They're
still good chisels in the factory, but the last step seems to be to
over-polish the backs to them so that they emerge whale-backed and not
at all flat. Pretty useless in a chisel, although I await their wood
turning oval skews !

If you can find some with flat backs, then get them. Apart from that,
they're lovely chisels.

--
Smert' spamionam
Adam Diehl

wrote:

I've been eyeing a six-piece set by two
cherries, but the price may be prohibitive.

They're still good chisels in the factory, but the last step seems to be to
over-polish the backs to them so that they emerge whale-backed and not
at all flat.

They make a six piece "value set", which is the same as the regular set
except that the chisel blades are unpolished. Do you think those would
be a better bet in that regard? (They're also $30 less, which is a
definate plus either way)

-AD
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:24:31 -0500, Adam Diehl
wrote:

They make a six piece "value set", which is the same as the regular set
except that the chisel blades are unpolished.

Sounds good. They're basically good chisels, although who knows what
a "value set" might be in these days of predatory value-engineering
MBAs.

--
Smert' spamionam

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Mortiser vs. Drill Press Adam Diehl Woodworking 16 November 28th 04 02:14 AM
Keyless Chuck for Drill Press Bernie Hunt Woodworking 2 June 4th 04 12:31 AM
Drill press question Michael Sutton Metalworking 12 March 14th 04 02:19 PM