Rob V

Default Kind of OT : How do you determine the rotation of a motor?

Im rebuilding an old Powermatic tablesaw circia 1950's Im looking for a
motor for it but not sure if I need clockwise or counterclockwise rotation
motor. Do you determine the motor rotation by look at the shaft towards the
motor and see which way it needs to turn or is it from the motor end looking
down the shaft?

Thanks
Rob

You can reply to me at
r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m

remove _ to get the correct address

Leon

"Rob V" wrote in message
. com...
Im rebuilding an old Powermatic tablesaw circia 1950's Im looking for a
motor for it but not sure if I need clockwise or counterclockwise rotation
motor. Do you determine the motor rotation by look at the shaft towards
the
motor and see which way it needs to turn or is it from the motor end
looking
down the shaft?

I think you determine it by looking at the business end of the motor. IIRC
my left tilt saw has the motor on the left side of the saw and the motor
runs counter clockwise or left. I also recall the direction being described
as left or tight spin but again from the business end of the motor.

Joe AutoDrill

If it is a 3 phase motor, it can be switched by wiring it differently.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

"Rob V" wrote in message
. com...
Im rebuilding an old Powermatic tablesaw circia 1950's Im looking for a
motor for it but not sure if I need clockwise or counterclockwise rotation
motor. Do you determine the motor rotation by look at the shaft towards

the
motor and see which way it needs to turn or is it from the motor end

looking
down the shaft?

Thanks
Rob

You can reply to me at
r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m

remove _ to get the correct address

RonB

If you look at the shaft end of the motor it needs to turn the same
direction as the blade (assuming the motor is to the right of the belt/blade
as on most saws - standing in front of the machine).

Note that some motors are easily reversed with a simple wiring change, but
some are not. Sometimes the inside of the cover over the wire connection
will tell you if it is not.

George

Open the connections box and look at the wiring diagram is what I prefer.

However, if you're putting a 1 HP Baldor on your open stand Delta bandsaw,
you'll need to reverse the shaft in the housing to get clearance to open the
bottom door, which reverses the direction, so don't do the rewire first.
DAMHIKT

"Rob V" wrote in message
. com...
Im rebuilding an old Powermatic tablesaw circia 1950's Im looking for a
motor for it but not sure if I need clockwise or counterclockwise rotation
motor. Do you determine the motor rotation by look at the shaft towards

the
motor and see which way it needs to turn or is it from the motor end

looking
down the shaft?

Thanks
Rob

You can reply to me at
r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m

remove _ to get the correct address

Frank Campbell

In article , Rob V
wrote:

Im rebuilding an old Powermatic tablesaw circia 1950's Im looking for a
motor for it but not sure if I need clockwise or counterclockwise rotation
motor. Do you determine the motor rotation by look at the shaft towards the
motor and see which way it needs to turn or is it from the motor end looking
down the shaft?

Thanks
Rob

You can reply to me at
r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m

remove _ to get the correct address

Depends on the supplier, some go from the shaft end others from the
lead end, some manufactures add SE (shaft end) or LE (lead end) after
The CW or CCW notation. If the motor is reversible it is a moot point.
FrankC

--
http://sawdustmaking.com
Robert Galloway

Pretty unusual to find a motor suitable for use on a table saw that
won't run either direction. Switch any two leads on a three phase motor
or reverse the leads to the start winding on a single phase motor. Rare
to find one that won't run either way.

bob g.

Leon wrote:

"Rob V" wrote in message
. com...

Im rebuilding an old Powermatic tablesaw circia 1950's Im looking for a
motor for it but not sure if I need clockwise or counterclockwise rotation
motor. Do you determine the motor rotation by look at the shaft towards
the
motor and see which way it needs to turn or is it from the motor end
looking
down the shaft?

I think you determine it by looking at the business end of the motor. IIRC
my left tilt saw has the motor on the left side of the saw and the motor
runs counter clockwise or left. I also recall the direction being described
as left or tight spin but again from the business end of the motor.

Leon

"Robert Galloway" wrote in message
Pretty unusual to find a motor suitable for use on a table saw that won't
run either direction. Switch any two leads on a three phase motor or
reverse the leads to the start winding on a single phase motor. Rare to
find one that won't run either way.

bob g.

While that may be true, I had to replace the motor on my Jet cabinet saw a
couple of weeks after getting it. The Jet rep asked 2 times if I had left
tilt or right tilt. They stocked both CW and CCW for this saw. Seems to me
it would be cheaper to stock one with instructions of how to wire it if it
were that simple in all cases.

Unisaw A100

Leon wrote:
While that may be true, I had to replace the motor on my Jet cabinet saw a
couple of weeks after getting it. The Jet rep asked 2 times if I had left
tilt or right tilt. They stocked both CW and CCW for this saw. Seems to me
it would be cheaper to stock one with instructions of how to wire it if it
were that simple in all cases.

Yahbut, the design of the left tilt saw is a mirror image of
the right tilt so you can't just flip a right tilt motor 180
and change the shaft direction onna 'count of the pin and
bolt on the hanging ears wouldn't line up with the casting
(wrong hand).

At least that's the way the Unisaw is set up and if memory
serves me Jet reverse injineered the Unisaw for their saw.

UA100

Leon

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message

Yahbut, the design of the left tilt saw is a mirror image of
the right tilt so you can't just flip a right tilt motor 180
and change the shaft direction onna 'count of the pin and
bolt on the hanging ears wouldn't line up with the casting
(wrong hand).

At least that's the way the Unisaw is set up and if memory
serves me Jet reverse injineered the Unisaw for their saw.

Probably right again Keith, Although IIRC there are no hanging ears, just 4
bolts and 4 slots. I still have the old motor and it looks like it could be
hung either way. A pivot bracket bolts to the motor and then the pivot
bracket connects via a pivot pin and a bolt to tighten the tensioned motor
and belts

Leon

"Robert Galloway" wrote in message
Not knowing the answer but are you sure direction of rotation is the only
difference?

Well the mounting bracket is symmetrical and the start and run capacitors
are mounted oppositely from that bracket. I cannot see how their locations
would matter if the motor was mounted on a right tilt.

Robert Galloway

If this is accurate, I'm surprised they offer two motors. I've been
messing with AC motors for 45 years and the number I've seen that can't
reverse is very small. Certainly none that would be suitable for use on
a table saw.

bob g.

Leon wrote:

"Robert Galloway" wrote in message

Not knowing the answer but are you sure direction of rotation is the only
difference?

Well the mounting bracket is symmetrical and the start and run capacitors
are mounted oppositely from that bracket. I cannot see how their locations
would matter if the motor was mounted on a right tilt.

Leon

"Robert Galloway" wrote in message
If this is accurate, I'm surprised they offer two motors. I've been
messing with AC motors for 45 years and the number I've seen that can't
reverse is very small. Certainly none that would be suitable for use on a
table saw.

Maybe the only difference is that they are rewired to run in a set direction
so that they do not have to take a call 50% of the time from a customer
telling him how to rewire it.